Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Sunroof

Was out yesterday, had sunroof at three quarter point, and front side windows down about half way. I parked up, closed the windows, then pressed the sunroof close button, and then forgetting I had already closed the windows, pulled up both front window switches again :duh:

I wouldn't have noticed that I had done that if the sunroof didn't then open again, and not back to the three quarter, but all the way :blink:

I tried it again and it did the same

Is it thinking that some kid is playing around with the switches, so it opens the sunroof again for safety, or is it overloading the electrics (in which case, it would make more sense to just stop)

Would anyone mind checking if their cars do it too? :winky:

I believe the sunroof & drivers window have a safety circuit (as you noted) that works by sensing changes in motor current. Its possible that stalling two window motors dropped the Battery voltage enough to dip (and return) the sunroof motor current enough to trip the safety circuit.

Does it do it when you press the window switch(es) or when you release them? Was the engine running?

I dont have my car at present but expect someone else will try.

I believe the sunroof & drivers window have a safety circuit (as you noted) that works by sensing changes in motor current. Its possible that stalling two window motors dropped the battery voltage enough to dip (and return) the sunroof motor current enough to trip the safety circuit.

Does it do it when you press the window switch(es) or when you release them? Was the engine running?

I dont have my car at present but expect someone else will try.

The engine was running, but the car was stationary. It did it as soon as I pulled up both switches, so I guess its possible that the extra load from trying to close two windows that were already closed, confused the sunroof into thinking that there was something in the way so it retracts

just tried it on mine and it operates as normal - i tried closing the windows again when the sunroof was closed and whilst it was closing, sunroof stays closed/continues to close.

yes u do draw current if u try and close the windows when they are already closed, u can see the lights dip.

the SE and sport models have te window protection on them, the S does not ( unless that has been added recently) to test it, put a pencil etc in the way of the window/sunroof , close them and when it can not close it will retract.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links