Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

New Owner To A Lexus Is200 X-Reg And Nothing But Problems

Kittycat

Hi im gonna try to make this short and to the point. I recently bought a x reg lexus is200 from a dealer. I have had nothing but problems since I got it and the mechanic I am using now to sort it out suggested that I go online and find out if these are common problems or not. Since I'm almost completely clueless when it comes to cars I found this forum and thought I would ask here.

Mileage is just over 108k

The main problem now is that it has had a pressure test in the cylinders of which 5 cylinders had a psi of between 150 and 180 the 6th one however had about 50 psi. Is this a common issue with this model?

Due to all the problems I even tried to return the car but the dealership refused and said they would like to fix it. But they have been given the chance to do so and had it for 6 days and only really sorting one of the issues out so they are out of the picture. Luckily it came with a 3 months warranty which is the route im going down now.

My second question would be what else is it worth keeping an eye out in a car of this age. I realise its 15 years old but yeah one can hope hehe.

Hello Anna and welcome to the LOC.

Sorry to hear of the problems you are having with the IS200 you have recently purchased.

You mention that the car was purchased from a dealer which is good news in that it gives you more rights as a buyer than if the car had been bought privately.

Under the sale of Goods Act you have rights if what you buy turns out not be be as described or is not of reasonable quality and from what you say this would be the case. From the cylinder pressure reading you provide it would appear there is a serious problem with the engine which could be a number of things all of which are going to be expensive to put right.

Under SOGA the car is basically waranted for 6 months for any serious defects arising in this time which were not mentioned at the time of the sale.

Get back to the dealer tell them nicely that you are not satisfied with the quality of the car that they have been given the opportunity to rectify the problems and failed to do so and you wish to return the car for a full refund quoting the SOGA.

If they refuse tell them nicely that you will be taking legal advice in respect of this, this is generally all it takes to convince them as court hearings cost them time and money.

Don't let them fob you off,don't take no for an answer they have to meet their legal obligations which they have already tried to avoid by refuseing to take the car back.

It may be an idea to keep notes with dates and times of calls should proof be needed in due course.

You can get help with this from your local CAB or Trading Standards department.

The link below may help particulary the section titled "Action to take"

http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/cgi-bin/glos/con1item.cgi?file=*ADV0003-1011.txt

Once you get rid of the lemon you have been sold come back onto the forums and we'll help you find a good IS200 :)

Hello Anna and welcome to the LOC.

Sorry to hear of the problems you are having with the IS200 you have recently purchased.

You mention that the car was purchased from a dealer which is good news in that it gives you more rights as a buyer than if the car had been bought privately.

Under the sale of Goods Act you have rights if what you buy turns out not be be as described or is not of reasonable quality and from what you say this would be the case. From the cylinder pressure reading you provide it would appear there is a serious problem with the engine which could be a number of things all of which are going to be expensive to put right.

Under SOGA the car is basically waranted for 6 months for any serious defects arising in this time which were not mentioned at the time of the sale.

Get back to the dealer tell them nicely that you are not satisfied with the quality of the car that they have been given the opportunity to rectify the problems and failed to do so and you wish to return the car for a full refund quoting the SOGA.

If they refuse tell them nicely that you will be taking legal advice in respect of this, this is generally all it takes to convince them as court hearings cost them time and money.

Don't let them fob you off,don't take no for an answer they have to meet their legal obligations which they have already tried to avoid by refuseing to take the car back.

It may be an idea to keep notes with dates and times of calls should proof be needed in due course.

You can get help with this from your local CAB or Trading Standards department.

The link below may help particulary the section titled "Action to take"

http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/cgi-bin/glos/con1item.cgi?file=*ADV0003-1011.txt

Once you get rid of the lemon you have been sold come back onto the forums and we'll help you find a good IS200 :)

An excellent response Steve.

And she should not have any further interest in the so called 3 month warranty in the context of her rights under the SALE OF GOODS ACT..

Regards

John

• Like 1

Thank you both for quick reply. I have now again contacted the garage he didnt take my phone call so sent him a text message telling him what the actual fault of the car is which they failed to find and also informed him that I did not invalidate the warranty as he claimed and asked him again to take the car back. I can get a written declaration of whats wrong with the car from the other mechanic so thats not an issue. To be honest I would rather not speak to the guy as he is just wanting to take it back for repairs and is avoiding me. I guess im classed as a pain in the neck customer as i got very impatient after they had the car for 6 days and i was told that it was just 3 spark plugs and yeah demanded it fixed and back asap. That means they did no investigation whatsoever in to the engine other than the superficial. I will contact CAB and see if they are prepared to talk to him for me cause my hair is going greyer by the hour dealing with this hehe. Will be interesting to see if he replies to my text message.

I forgot to say that the other mechanic is now checking if this can be fixed under the extra warranty that I got and to be honest if that is approved I will just do that to save my poor hair going more grey hehe. It does state in the warrantys terms and conditions that these parts are covered so that would pay up to £500 and I would just put the rest towards it myself.

Hopefully the warranty will cover this, but there is the possibility that it won't because the warranty wouldn't cover faults that existed at the time the policy was taken out - not your problem, it is the dealers, but could add a complication.

In answer to your original question, I've not seen a common issue with the IS200 engine where a cylinder lacks compression.

Thank you both for quick reply. I have now again contacted the garage he didnt take my phone call so sent him a text message telling him what the actual fault of the car is which they failed to find and also informed him that I did not invalidate the warranty as he claimed and asked him again to take the car back. I can get a written declaration of whats wrong with the car from the other mechanic so thats not an issue. To be honest I would rather not speak to the guy as he is just wanting to take it back for repairs and is avoiding me. I guess im classed as a pain in the neck customer as i got very impatient after they had the car for 6 days and i was told that it was just 3 spark plugs and yeah demanded it fixed and back asap. That means they did no investigation whatsoever in to the engine other than the superficial. I will contact CAB and see if they are prepared to talk to him for me cause my hair is going greyer by the hour dealing with this hehe. Will be interesting to see if he replies to my text message.

I would send a letter by recorded delivery outlining your case and tell them that the car is awaiting their collection which you expect to be within say 7 days along with a full refund including the cost of the warranty if that was paid as an extra, keep a copy of the letter send.

Hi agai. A little update on the situation. He has finally agreed to take it back. I guess me going silent after telling him a letter would come in the post changed his mind. So thank you so much guys for giving me that extra push to try again ! It worked ! I'm very grateful xx

Hi agai. A little update on the situation. He has finally agreed to take it back. I guess me going silent after telling him a letter would come in the post changed his mind. So thank you so much guys for giving me that extra push to try again ! It worked ! I'm very grateful xx

VERY PLEASED FOR YOU ANNA.

Now, how about going to a respected Lexus Dealership and looking at a Lexus which has a full Lexus Service History and taking an extended test drive in what I am satisfied is the most reassuring car available ?

Good look and please do not let your recent experience put you off considering a Lexus.

Regards

John

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links