Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

What Is Lexus Waiting For?

noby76

so considering Honda Civics Type R has just recorded the fastest FWD time for a hot hatch at the nurburgring and could be picked up for less than £35K with over 300bhp on tap from its 2 litre VTEC Turbo engine makes me wonder what Lexus is waiting for? brands like the SEAT Cupra, Renault Megane RS, Ford Focus RS ,Civic Type R etc have been said to punch above their weights, are said to be fun to drive and have a cult following. even guys in US are crying for hot hatches like the focus RS and Civic Type R to be made available for sale over there which those brands are considering.

Audi have the RS3, BMW have the 135i, Merc have the A45 AMG which confirms there is a market place for premium fast hothatches so why has Lexus not considered this? they do have CT200h chasis so why not drop the 2 litre turbo from the NX into one up the horsepower to around 300bhp and back that up with a 50bhp hybrid Battery to complement it get it round the ring faster than what AUDI, BMW and Merc has to offer and use that as a marketing prop I am sure this formula might give them a market place for fast hot hatches and some recognition even though Lexus doesn't need recognition, what are your thoughts i think Lexus Execs are sleeping at the moment...

Been thinking the same for some time. They have the rc and soon the gs in full 'f' spec and rumours are the is may return. Maybe the ct is the last one on the hit list?

you might be right Stu but I am guessing Lexus would have been hinting it with concept photos etc.. if there was going to be one on the way in the near future..

I think they may wait until the new one comes out and make a CT200t which should have plenty of power. The only concern for Lexus would be reliability. A 2.0l 4 pot pumping out 320-360hp is not going to be as reliable as an NA engine

Lexus as a minor sub division of Toyota isn't going to get the funds to develop a special drivetrain for the CT. Toyota would need to develop the Auris and other models with that drivetrain which Lexus could then use - which is all they did with the current CT compared to the Auris Hybrid.

If TMC want to compete against Honda, SEAT, Ford etc then they would do so with a T badged vehicle, not one with an L.

There shouldn't be reliability issues, the Toyota/Yamaha 3S-GTE engine used on the Celica and MR2 turbos was absolutely bullet proof at the standard 240 bhp - Toyota know how to make a good turbo petrol engine.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links