Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

The LS400 is probably the best in terms of over engineering. The new LSs have a fit and finish that far exceeds the originals - body panel gaps and consistency for example were hugely improved upon with the LS430 and again with the LS460 due to new technology introduced on the LS production lines in the factory.

Whilst the IS may be built in the same factory the LS, I believe, uses thicker gauge steel for the body panels, you have the better panel alignment, the paining process involves two stages of rubbing down by humans, the leather is buffed for many hours more than on the IS, 100% of all the speakers and amps are tested with a full burn-in at the ML factory, the headlamp glass is specially designed to look like crystal, and hundreds of other examples.

There IS is a great car for the class it is in. It is refined and comfortable but not to the level of the GS, which itself isn't at the same level as an LS. There is a reason why the LS costs around three times that of an IS, and only a very small fraction of that cost is due to the vehicle physically being larger and therefore needing more basic materials.

The IS has always had quite a lot of road noise, I'd suspect an LS driver would notice that more than most. Handling is much better in the IS compared to the LS, especially the series I and series III IS, but an LS driver isn't typically looking for that type of engaging drive.

So;. 430 + 460 actually a continuation of the Kaizen Lexus approach? Would you say as smooth -or more! - and comfortable as a Ser 4?

I'd EXPECT it from Lexus, but occasionally felt they might have been seduced into the Merc/Beemer school of harder suspension etc.

Must get a ride in a 430/460!

(having turned away from TWO Ser 4s lately!)

Know so little about 460s that I don't know if they - like 430s - have 'Air suspension'!

Note to self; research!

Thanks Colin for your info. There is a lot of truth in what you said. I have just test driven a couple of them. Then drove mine home. Even mine at 14 years old sounded more refined. But the IS, is a lovely car all the same

well i have been very undecided about the GS450h - i do alot of local runs and it would be ideal but things like a creaky dash and hybrid Battery and oil pump failures (will cost alot more to fix than i save in fuel) puts me off.

my brother was talking about upgrading the 430 and i said you cannot put the word "upgrade" and "ls430" in the same sentence lol!

i could go for the 460 but what would i gain?

yes malc i agree with you - hybrids and 460 are sophisticated piece of engineering and if anything goes wrong it maybe beyond the abilities (or facilities) of independents - so if you were to run these cars then you have to be prepared to goto the dealer to get things sorted if the go wrong.

The older lexuses dont pose such a threat - should'nt of sold that mark 4 LOL

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links