Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Wishbone Replace At £740?

GEN

Just been advised by my friendly Lexus dealer that the wishbones on my 1998 LS400 will soon need to be replaced at a cost of £740 all included. What does the forum think about that price? Your opinion/ideas will be appreciated. Thank you.

I'm supposing these are the Upper Control Arms ? if that is so then the price seems about right sadly, very expensive on the parts but a short job to replace.

I would have expected you to have had a prior Advisory on an MOT to tell you the wear was starting to show and that the mileage would, I hazard a guess, be @200k miles or thereabouts.

In my old Mk1 years ago I replaced them at 160k miles I think BUT I was chasing the car up and down the unmade track to my home for a few years prior and felt that accounted for a lot of the inordinate wear.

Concensus on here seems to be that less than Lexus original parts just aren't any good.

Malc

Thank you, Malc, for your reply. Mileage is currently at 157000 and since 89000 I have been going in and out of central London 2-3 a week (so plenty of unavoidable sleeping policemen and potholes). It is not an Mot (but a Lexus) advisory and it states "replace rear wishbones" (obviously inclusive of labor and VAT but not sure what else).Upper control arms are not mentioned.

well, rear wishbones are another issue thank heavens and quite honestly that price seems damned ridiculous !!!

Not sure what the price should be BUT I would think an awful lot less tbh.

If it's not an MOT Advisory then they surely can't be anywhere near needing to be replaced.

And if they are needing to be then i would get an indy ( recommended to you ) to give you an estimate.

That £740 seems totally bonkers...............

sorry i can't help further, I'm sure someone will come along soon who can tho'

Malc

The parts are around £200.00 each from Lexus UK but a mere $116.00 US$ from Amayama so let's say with shipping and import charges $300.00 for the pair, add 2 hours labour with an indi and you'll still be under the Lexus quote by a few hundred.

http://www.amayama.com/search?q=48790-59025

I would be inclined to wait until the next MOT (when is it?) and see whether the MOT tester makes any comment on it.

If it does need replacing I would order from Amayama - I have used them recently to buy a rear strut rod for a Mk 3 LS400 and the price (including postage and customs VAT) was probably less half the main dealer price.

I would be inclined to wait until the next MOT (when is it?) and see whether the MOT tester makes any comment on it.

If it does need replacing I would order from Amayama - I have used them recently to buy a rear strut rod for a Mk 3 LS400 and the price (including postage and customs VAT) was probably less half the main d

ealer price.

The next Mot is in September and I've just replaced the rear tyres so I'm wondering whether they'll be affected?

just keep an eye on the tyres and if u see undue wear then review again.

I wouldn't rush if the last MOT didn't even show an Advisory with this issue.

Malc

I would do the same as Malc - keep an eye on the tyres to see whether they are wearing unevenly.

If the tyres are new, then unless you do a high mileage it is perhaps unlikely that you will notice any uneven wear by September anyway.

When September comes, you can then get the MOT tester's view on whether the rear wishbones need attention/replacement.

I would do the same as Malc - keep an eye on the tyres to see whether they are wearing unevenly.

If the tyres are new, then unless you do a high mileage it is perhaps unlikely that you will notice any uneven wear by September anyway.

When September comes, you can then get the MOT tester's view on whether the rear wishbones need attention/replacement.

g

Annual mileage about 12k and absent the facilities (lift, jacks, etc) seeing the thread on the rear tires is problematic... The ones I replaced were heavily worn in the center and I thought that perhaps they were overinflated but I wonder now... Have also acquired a vibration (seemingly from the rear) which appears at 50/55 and disappears at 60 and higher or lower. All tires have been balanced (the front ones within six months and the rear ones recently) ....

???????

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links