Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

First real problem with the car that I don't reckon I will manage to repair myself.

There is no sound when watching a DVD.

Picture is fine and the DVD region is fine (2). Volume is up (but it doesn't actually show the level on the top of the screen when adjusting as it does when adjusting the music volume) Park brake is on.

It has previously played DVD's so I put the one disc I knew worked in it and that did not play any sound either. It plays the video just no sound.

The sound when playing music from the radio and the cd's is fine Music sound is fine.

Am I missing a setting here that has been selected by mistake - something like mute etc or has anyone else had this issue where no sound is available when playing DVD's - blown fuse etc?

Any help appreciated

thanks

1) Check the amp connection in the boot

2) Check DVD playback menu for any mute button.

3) are you using auxiliary jack with an MP3 player/iPod? If yes then disconnect it.

4) check fuse, I doubt but u never know.

Does anyone know if there have been any walk through instructions on removing the centre console housing the Radio / DVD player? This is the ML unit

Still no luck on getting sound from the DVD player

Music and radio work fine - DVD picture works fine but no playback sound when playing DVD.

Amp is all ok

Not aware of any fuses just for the DVD sound itself?

Not aware of any mute selection for the DVD ?

Aux jack is free

Is it conceivable that the rear connections on the console could have worked loose through general driving conditions - no one has been behind the console as far as I know and I cant think of any disturbance that has happened around the area of the console.

Wouldn't sound present itself from the CD player - - there shouldn't be any different mechanics in playing a DVD compared to a music CD?

I'd say its not really conceivable that the connections will work loose during normal driving.....come to that i don't think rough terrain will do it either. There is a locking clip that has to be depressed to actually pull the connector out. They are quite fiddly little so and so's.

But if someones been in there before for something like a phone connection.....then that's a different matter.

I did have access to a site for diagrams and instructions for removing the centre console... but its been taken down.

I'll have a look see and search and see what i can find.

Maybe someone else has some source?

this is quite heavy, and its cumbersome to take out.

the Manual requires the gear stick surrounds be taken off differently than the autos (found out this the hard way), other than that the ML unit held in with 4 bolts, the vents near the top have notches that need to be dislodged then you can prise it out.

Just to add to all those very handy links and videos, something like a Silverline Trim Remover (not sure if a direct link to a retailer is ok) is great for avoiding damage to your trim. Think I paid about £4.50 so well worth it.

Thanks guys for the info

Was dreading taking it out as everything else is working and don't really want to disturb it ... I suppose I can live with the DVD not working, just annoying ....

I like Marks comment as it sounds like it could be an easy fix - I cant see how though if it is this, how it has come out? Maybe playing music too loud !!

I will give it a go - maybe at the weekend if its not raining !!(ha ha)

if the wire is connected in the amp in the boot, you said its ok, then it is the back of the head unit you need to get to, so not really an easy fix

the hardest part of taking it out is prising it past the vents, trust me.....

but its doable, i done it a few times.

set aside a few hours at the weekend and you can get this done, its not like you are taking the engine apart :p

is200 Newbie :

Here is the Troubleshooting guide from my Technical Service Manual:

Symptom:

Only DVD sound cannot be heard or sound quality is bad. (with DVD Changer)

Step 1. Proceed to "DVD Sound Signal Circuit between Radio Receiver and Stereo Component Amplifier"

Step 2. Stereo component amplifier

Step 3. Radio receiver

DVD-No-Sound-Step1.pdf

DVD-No-Sound-Step2.pdf

DVD-No-Sound-Step3.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

I took the head unit out today (was surprised at how easy it came out..) - had a root around for loose wires but could not find any. Put it all back together. Checked all the fuses (2 for the audio in the engine compartment) and all good. Checked the connections with the amp (didn't take the amp out but all were good.

Cant resolve this one so will need to live with it rather than replace the amp / headunit

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links