Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Crazy Locks, Mobile Madness!

Hi, this is not a joke and not a feature I desire but I have stumbled on a bizarre phenomenum. Sometimes my mobile phone can operate the locks on my new RX300. I bought the car 1/9/03 and first thought something was funny maybe October time when I was outside my car talking with my plumber with my phone in my hand. Someone called me and I swore the hazards on my car flicked and I heard the locking sound, so I told my plumber but he just thought I waas kidding him and I thought maybe I hit the car keys by mistake so thought no more of it. Then 2 days ago I had filled my car up and went into the shop to pay the cashier WITH MY KEYS, leaving the car open with my fiance and little baby in the back seat. My phone was in a cradle near the dash. While I was paying a mate called me, my partner couldn't reach the phone so she left it but the doors had locked on her. I came back the car was locked, so opened the car as normal and Sara told me as soon as the phone went off the doors locked. Crazy eh?? Needless to say I tried to recreate the scenario at home but it didn't work on cue. But thinking back I am now sure it has happened more than just the twice. I haven't spent much time messing about with the phone though so dont know yet if I could get it to work on demand.

Anyway Haven't contacted Lexus yet just too busy, but anyone had the same experience or know what I should do.

The phone is a Nokia 3300 and the car an RX300 SE

Go figure??? :blink:

does your car automatically lock the door a set period after you close the drivers door (eg - 30 seconds)?

sounds like co-incidentally as your phone was in use - this period elapsed and the car locked itself.

seeing as you wee on the phone for a while - and your lady left the phone ringing for a while - there is a large chance of that 30 second period running out and the car locking itself

Stopping the car, getting out and not locking the doors. Didn't know it locks them then but maybe?

Yes if the car sits open for a while without the keys in, it will lock itself...

I know, as getting onto a plane at heathrow I realised i had forgotton to lock my IS... :blush: yet when I got back to it, it was all locked up tight... phew..

Stopping the car, getting out and not locking the doors. Didn't know it locks them then but maybe?

the IS defintely does - have locked my partner in the car more than once like this.

would imagine the RX has the same

Hmmm, must be programmable somehow then...

I've left my IS unlocked overnight before on more than one occasion :unsure:

Still unlocked when i got to it in the morning ...

Hmmm, must be programmable somehow then...

I've left my IS unlocked overnight before on more than one occasion :unsure:

Still unlocked when i got to it in the morning ...

what year Tony?

mine is an 02 - the newer model, and we have had several discussions about how the locking mechanism changed on the IS on the newer model.

We are straying :offtopic: though - can anyone confirm the RX has this auto locking feature so we can put Keyser Soze suspicisions to rest?

You said Mats was in...?

no pete this was a once off situation - the car is not meant to do it, it occurred when the boot was shut and all the doors locked, the keys were on the front seat.

this has happened to me also, i had the keys in my jacket pocket( no way could the buttons have been accidently pushed) and took some stuff out of the boot, closed the boot and also heard a click, checked the doors and all were locked!

this has only happened once, so now i am extra careful!

I have heard this before...

Can be caused by RF interference and transmission ...

As the remotes are working on RF and a mobile emits interference... the band is not close together though..

Problem could probaly be solved by re-sync all the keys... at another frenquency.. or perhaps your receiver box on the car is faulty.. as these systems are throughly tested... it might be slightly out of sync.. normally 418Mhz. thereabouts.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links