Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Opinions On Ls For Sale

Hi

I'm struggling to find a mk4 ls for sale with a decent history. Preferably want to buy from an owners club member. I have been offered a 98 ls with only two owners. It has been kept by the prev owner since 2003 with the following service history all from Lexus main dealer with invoices:

(I have been told there is service hisotry before 35000 but only stamps in the book)

Serviced @ 35889 miles 10/04/03

Serviced @ 46037 miles 9/12/03

Serviced @ 55455 miles 26/4/04

Serviced and Timing Belt changed @ 63590 miles 11/11/04

Serviced @ 72709 miles 4/07/07

Serviced and Front Disc and pads @ 81205 miles 13/7/07

Serviced and Rear Pads @ 90309 miles 1/4/09

The car is now at around 98k with the same owner . my worry is it has not had an oil change or service for 5 years now. On the other hand it has been taken to Lexus at the correct mileage intervals by its owner since 2003. I am told the car is started and run regularly. I've been offered £1400 to buy with 5 month MOT.

What do people think to the service history?

Incomprehensible that the owner hasn't got some service history to prove it over the last 5 years.

Look at the last MOTs for Advisories. You can do a DVLA MOT Advisories check too with the right log book info. and it's free ( well it was )

But on balance, if it drives and sounds ok and you have done the MOT checking stuff then maybe just go4it and buy it.

Doesn't seem expensive for a sub 100k motor if you're happy with all else.

Malc

Ball joints play as an advisory?

Bear in mind that these are not cheap to buy if it's from the wishbones. I believe you can get the front upper wishbones on Fleabay, but they are nowhere near the OEM quality.

I think the dealer wants around £300 each.....

Last owner may have run it as a 'shed' (spend nothing at all and see how long it lasts) for the last five years.

But only 8000 miles on the oil (assuming worse case is right)? Check the oil colour - if thick and dark, maybe walk away.

But: 10 years since the last one and so it needs a new timing belt, too (unless you're happy to gamble).

Thanks for the replies. Just to clarify :

The last mot said

Corrosion o both upper suspension arms, cleaned checked removed dirt and found no corrosion.

Wear on both front suspension lower ball joints

Owner says corrosion was minor, cleaned and treated.

Regarding the last 5 years - the current owner had owned since 2003 (11 years) and it looks like he looked after the car well while using it regularly. For the past 5 years it has seen reduced use due to retirement and hence the lack of sservice.

Electrics wise he says the only item not working is he heating element of driver side mirror which I don't mind.

It does need the cambelt and I don't mind doing this (how much would Lexus main dealer charge?).

Its an r reg so early mk 4 - should I be waiting for a later 2000 mk4?

I suppose if I did go for it it would take it through a cambelt change and full service and oil change and then look to have the suspension sorted in the near year? I like the fact its been owned the same owner since 2003 am wary of lack of use /service over last 5 years.

If it was mine . and at £1400 it should be if i was looking for one now ....... I would not worry about the lower ball joints, they are NOT expensive to sort out ( unlike the upper wishbones which you say are ok ) and I would not bother with the cambelt at only sub 100k miles having beeen rerplaced at 63k miles.( albeit some time ago now )

you will probably get many years from the cambelt if truth be known, otherwise it's going to cost you at least £500 to do that alone.

i would be more concerned with the tyres quite honestly ( £100 a corner ) and having a simple oil change, filters and fluid checks service.

If it drives and sounds ok to you, and your happy with the bodywork etc.

At £1400 it sounds a bit of a gift to me.

Malc

• Like 1

As of a month and a bit ago, Lexus still has a fixed-price timing belt change offer of £295+VAT. That said, most of us replace the water pump at the same time which will add another £100 or so(?) and a couple more hours to the labour. Worth asking the local Lexus dealer, I think.

On an LS400 with non-interference engine, I'd maybe stretch the replacement interval, but not for the later LS400s. I also believe this potentially pays you back in the future. Because if and when you come to sell it, some buyers are going to ask why you didn't replace it when it was due, and assume you haven't really looked after the car. If you do replace it now, you get peace of mind, and the ability to demonstrate to a future buyer that you have done the correct maintenance = easier sale, better price.

No-one really wants to buy a car from a chancer.

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies. The situation has now been complicated slightly by being offered another car : 2001 ls430 with 90k miles for £3000. Has the following history

19-11-03 Lexus Sheffield 2921 miles

21-12-07 Samson Lexus 13000 miles

26-09-08 Samson Lexus 22870 miles

07-09-09 CTM BMW 32557 miles

15-09-10 CTM BMW 40986 miles

11-08-11 Lexus Sheffield 51436 miles

08-11-12 Burnett cars 76987

14-02-14 Glyn Jones Lexus 85858

Cambelt changed 11-08-11 51436 miles

Only issues are telescopic steering not working and delamination of one of the rear windows. I know steering is an expensive fix but I can live with this. It has 1 year mot with no advisories (Ls400 has 5 months) . this has had 4 previous owners hhowever so I will be the 5th/6th. Again a genuine seller.

So do I go for the newer ls430 with regular recent use and servicing or the cheaper older ls400 but with only two owners. The ls400 is now being offered at £1100. The car will be used daily.

Any advice appreciated !

Very surprising that the oil hasn't been changed for 5 years especially if the car has been serviced by Lexus - even for minor services, they will change the oil and oil filter.

Ultimately buying cars like this of any age all comes down to condition, history and gut instinct.

Cars like this don't normally have several owners and in my opinion, if a car has had multiple owners it could be a sign that it's potentially a dud and that previous owners have just wanted to get rid !

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. The situation has now been complicated slightly by being offered another car : 2001 ls430 with 90k miles for £3000. Has the following history

19-11-03 Lexus Sheffield 2921 miles

21-12-07 Samson Lexus 13000 miles

26-09-08 Samson Lexus 22870 miles

07-09-09 CTM BMW 32557 miles

15-09-10 CTM BMW 40986 miles

11-08-11 Lexus Sheffield 51436 miles

08-11-12 Burnett cars 76987

14-02-14 Glyn Jones Lexus 85858

Cambelt changed 11-08-11 51436 miles

Only issues are telescopic steering not working and delamination of one of the rear windows. I know steering is an expensive fix but I can live with this. It has 1 year mot with no advisories (Ls400 has 5 months) . this has had 4 previous owners hhowever so I will be the 5th/6th. Again a genuine seller.

So do I go for the newer ls430 with regular recent use and servicing or the cheaper older ls400 but with only two owners. The ls400 is now being offered at £1100. The car will be used daily.

Any advice appreciated !

Do we know of the 430 on the LOC because there are a couple of 430s been around for ages.

i would go for the 400 even though i have a facelift 430.

no air suspensions and exhaust boxes to worry about..

the prices of 430 are falling but repairs like above are costly if they occur.

example yesterday on eBay 01 plate 430 with 107k on the clock with no service history went for £1300.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links