Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Brakes Seizing

SaraR

RX400h- I'm on my 2nd brake seizure. 6 months ago the rear passenger side calliper got stuck and ground down the disc and yesterday the front passenger side seized on the motorway causing juddering at just under 70mph. Then from moving off from stop the car was heaving. By the time I got to my destination the brake was smoking.

Has anyone else had this and might it be to do with the regenerative breaking?

Thanks

no, it is to do with the sliding pins becoming corroded and seizing and happens on nearly all Toyota/Lexus vehicles. It can be worse with a hybrid if you are gentle on the brakes as the mechanical brakes don't get used much and seize.

The sliding pins should ideally be checked/lubricated/replaced once every 12/24 months to avoid more expensive repairs.

One thing I do wonder, is this done on a service? I know mine are as I do my own servicing but what about dealer services?

The other question is where does all the grease disappear to, I grease up the pins and then when I next remove them they are as dry as a bone, there is no evidence of grease leaking out the rubber bellow seals?

Sorry, welcome to the LOC Sara :)

• Like 1

Hello folks,

I have had some problems with seizing pins. After trawling the net I found this part number 08887-01206 it is for Toyota Rubber grease. Toyota use it specifically on slide pins as it is safe for rubber boots. I believe it is lithium soap based glycol grease. Have had no issues since. I found that normal grease was destroying the rubber bush on the ends of the slide pins.

the rubber grease comes in at £15 for 100g from MrT

One thing I do wonder, is this done on a service? I know mine are as I do my own servicing but what about dealer services?

The other question is where does all the grease disappear to

they don't. They would rather sell you new discs and callipers every few years rather than adding 10 minutes additional work to a service.

normally it dries up, especially if you use the wrong type of grease. If water gets in there it seems to wash it out.

Thanks so much... I shall pass my newly acquired knowledge to the garage sorting out the car tomorrow... sure they'll be very grateful ! :shifty:

• 2 weeks later...

If the Toyota grease is better than other grease how come the slide pins seize ? Surely this is used from day one ? Maybe Toyota 'special ' ! Grease is the problem....

Welcome to LOC Sara , hope you get your problem sorted soon cos ya need them brakes !

If the Toyota grease is better than other grease how come the slide pins seize ? Surely this is used from day one ? Maybe Toyota 'special ' ! Grease is the problem....

Welcome to LOC Sara , hope you get your problem sorted soon cos ya need them brakes !

I think that they may only seize up after a garage or user or Toyota themselves put non lithium soap based glycol grease on the pins.

out of the factory they normally last quite a while. It's after repair that they don't last as long and normally the correct grease isn't used.

Whether that is because the seals wear and let in more water, or the grease breaks down I'm not sure. Whatever grease is used, it cannot overcome the fact that water does get in and causes problems. Really the design of the calliper calls for routine maintenance.

• 1 year later...

My 2006 RX400h has just started squeaking. 2 Months after the last Service in Derby Lexus. The last of 4 services.

I found the rear caliper pin seized solid. Seems to be a Toyota Standard Issue.

The response from the Dealer was not good.

The other side seems OK but the Bolts/Pins are rusted solid - however the caliper slides just fine.

Call me paranoid - but I have doubts if these pins have ever been loosened.

I understand it is not necessary to loosen the pins if the pads are not to be changed and if the caliper is sliding ok ,

but as it is obviously a Toyota Issue - I would have thought they would loosen and tighten them at least every Major Service

Dissappointed a bit - if this is a way to generate service business.!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links