Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Day At Tdi

Fargo

Well just got back from Tdi after having my pre-cats removed and also a power run..

What an interesting day.. Met up with Si Skippy and shortly after Dave Ellen and his NOS'ed up IS. we chatted for a bit had Tea,Coffee and a dip in the kitkat biscuit barrel (thanks Mark errr i mean Nathan) and waited for Dave's diving.. i mean NOS bottle to be refilled, we then went for a spin in it.. Simon was on the phone so i called shotgun and jumped in the front.. off we go.. one word for Dave NOSIS.....impressive.

Everyone then buggered off and left me to wait.. finally got the Lex on the rolling road.. Results can be seen Here

The dyno measures at the wheels. On a manual you can then put it into neutral and the dyno will measure the resistance which is only from the drivetrain, calculate the % loss and add it to the initial figures. Not totally accurate but better than removing you engine and using an engine dyno! Autos are much harder to get an accurate reading as you cannot put them into neutral without damaging the box. Normally the drivetrain loss is guessed (around 25%) and input into the dyno for it to give you a flywheel figure.

SOunds Like a great day out. THis whole rolling road thing seems to raise one simple point. THe only figure a rolling road can accurately produce is the BHP at the wheels. The only figure that really matters in terms of how quick you go is the BHP at the wheels, again. So why does nobody quote the bhp at the Wheels. It must be in the Dyno read out cos its the basis of any calculation.

C'mon Guys,

fess up. whats are you actually commiting to tarmac in terms of usable bhp? I know none of you would be afraid to say... :whistling:

i'm supprised that thats all it got on the dyno with the amount of mods on the car, supercharger, exhaust and pre-cats removed. i would of thought about 225bhp. the supercharger is supposed to take it up to over 200bhp by itself

SOunds Like a great day out. THis whole rolling road thing seems to raise one simple point. THe only figure a rolling road can accurately produce is the BHP at the wheels. The only figure that really matters in terms of how quick you go is the BHP at the wheels, again. So why does nobody quote the bhp at the Wheels. It must be in the Dyno read out cos its the basis of any calculation.

C'mon Guys,

fess up. whats are you actually commiting to tarmac in terms of usable bhp? I know none of you would be afraid to say... :whistling:

The Americans always quote power at the wheels, highest IS at the moment, 683HP (at the wheels) ~ 777HP (at the crank)

212 at the flywheel. so 25% less would be 169 at the wheels i guess..

which makes sense based on Zee getting 174.1bhp at the wheels from his at JAE. which on the same sums makes 217bhp at the flywheel.

Begining to get a consistent picture now so superchargers with a few ickle mods are running 169 - 174bhp at the wheels.

same car with Noz is running 208bhp at the wheels.

Do we have a figure for the standard car at the wheels? based on same test conditions?

looks pretty reasonable to me.

Another way of looking at would be to say the S/C cars give at the crank, what the Nozzed SC Car gives at the Wheels.

For the Record. on the same calulation mine runs 240bhp at the wheels. but of course mine is auto so not sure if the same calculation works? it might be wrong but I am sure there is someone here who can help figure out what 300 at the crank would equate to on the road in an auto.

HAppy days!

:zee:

I think everybody quotes flywheel figures because that's what the manufacturers give for their car specs. You want to know how much extra bhp you are over stock

I wouldn't think there would be a 25% loss on a manual IS. 20% at most. Autos are less efficient which is around the 25% mark.

Nearly every run you do will be slightly different. Air temp, engine temp, bonnet up or down and the actual dyno will give different results.

Good to meet both Paul and Dave yesterday, had to drive back from TDi in Marks Civic!?!? with some crap radio station's all pre-tuned in - you would think that Mark working woth performance cars all day long would listen to Music with more than 4 beats per minute!!!

Got to try out Dave "Noz" Ellen in a shoot along the road - very nice. And see the monster up close and Grope Her Twins!!!! I think TDi have employed a midget to finish her off - there is NO room anywhere in the engine bay.

The morning was ace but now got no car :unsure:

Si

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links