Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

A Few Tips On Blinky Dash

soramad

hi to all those members with blinky dash ,

i have just refurbished the dash instruments on my 4ltr , using the australian sites excellent"dash repair for dummies"there were however a few things that could have been added which would have speeded things up such as ........... it is necessary to have a 14mm socket at hand to lower

the steering column

lowering the steering column is an absolute necessity as the binnicle will not clear part of the steering wheel control mechanism.

some of the plugs can be bitches but they will come apart .

it is necessary to have either a small chisel or pointed ended soldering iron as the capacitors in question are surface soldered and require a point to desolder them , the replacements were ordinary electrolytic capacitors , i used higher voltage ones ie 25 v which due to there size had to be layed down .the pc boards are double sided so a lot of heat is required to get the leads through , so blow on all the componants soldered to cool them quickly .

i found a desoldering tool very handy ,

when you are taking the binnicle apart ensure you take out the mirror as soon as you get to it , as it can quite easily slip out of place , as i found out in a heart stopping moment , but all was well , phew.

clean every thing , including the flourecent tube ,in its own little compartment , which has to be stripped down,

sorry this has been so boring but i thought it might help prepare anyone contemplating this operation .

looking at my instruments now is a pleasure every thing is so much

brighter

incidently i got all the components and tools from maplins

components did'nt cost 50p

hi super moderator

if you read my thread properly you will notice that i said blow on the componants , i never advocate blowing on solder as it is a quick route to a dry joint which can cause more problems .

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links