Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Engine Oil For 2006 Is250

for my last oil change, i used Castrol Magnatec 5w30 A1 on my 2006 IS250. Planning my next oil change which is about 3k miles away still but considering maybe another oil. I've read this thing between whether the IS250 should use 0W30 or 5W30. Someone posted a reply from Lexus service here saying something about them using Castrol Edge 0W30.

Just wanted to get some opinions on oils. This is the first time i've used Castrol magnatec 5w30 a1 and although ok, since i started using it i feel sometimes the car is noisier. Could be just me. I'm wondering if maybe I should try Castrol Edge 5W30 or Mobil 1 5W30?

Mobil 1 website suggests 0w20 for the IS250. very confusing.

When i type my reg on EuroCarParts. The suggested Castrols are either Magnatec 5w30 a1 or Edge 0w30

For my last oil change I used Castrol Magnatec 5w30 A1. At first I felt better response from the car and pickup and acceleration belt really good. But over time i've started experiencing a few issues that I never had before. First being when i slow down and if the gear drops to 1st and then I decide to pickup speed again, even if I apply the lightest bit of throttle, the rev counter jumps to over 2k rpm and then back down. Secondly, if i lightly throttle as the gear changes from 2nd to third i get a judder/jerk as if there is not enough gas, but if a gain speed between 2nd and 3rd this doesnt happen. Both of these issues only start happening once engine temp is at operating temperature. Have not been able to replicate the issue with engine temp below operating temp.

What do you use David? I''m considering trying the Castrol Edge 5W30. But Castrol seem to recommend the 0W30 from their Edge range and 5W30 from the Magnatec range. Other option is the Mobil1 but Mobil1 recommend 0W20, so not sure if I should ignore their recommendation and go for the 5W30. I've spoken to almost 5 dealerships and 4 of them said they use 5W30 and one said 0W30 but they all said either can be used.

I'm thinking to use the Mobil 1 ESP 5W30 oil for my next oil change. Has anyone used this product? Even though the Mobil 1 website suggests 0W20, I think I will stick to what the dealers said they've used on my car and als what is on the user manual.

I've just been reading the specs of the Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30. Halfords and Eurocarparts and all the retailers list the spec as API CF. The IS250 needs API SL or SM. I looked at the Mobil 1 website and the website says the following:

Does this mean the Mobil 1 ESP 5W30 isnt suitable for the IS250?

Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 has the following builder approvals:

• BMW Longlife 04
  • MB-Approval 229.31/229.51
  • Volkswagen (Gasoline / Diesel) 504 00 / 507 00
  • Porsche C30
  • Chrysler MS-11106
  • Peugeot/Citroën Automobiles B71 2290, B71 2297
  • AVTOVAZ LADA cars

Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 meets or exceeds the requirements of:

• ACEA C2, C3
  • API (Meets Engine Test Requirements) SM / SN
  • JASO DL-1
  • AAE (STO 003) Group B6

According to ExxonMobil, Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 is of the following quality level:

• API CF
  • Volkswagen (Gasoline) 502 00 / 503 00 / 503 01
  • Volkswagen (Diesel) 505 00 / 505 01 / 506 00 / 506 01
  • All VW engines with the exception of Unit-Injector / Pump-Duse TDI
  • without LongLife Service and without DPF between 1999-2003 and
  • R5/V10-TDi before model year 2006

Any advice guys? I do not want to use the Castrol Magnatec A1 this time and finding very mixed information out there regarding which product is suitable for the IS250. It seems its not a matter of just getting a 5W30 full synthetic oil. I found the Mobil 1 ESP 5W30 but i'm being told that the Mobil 1 ESP isnt suitable. I got a reply from EuroCarParts saying The Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 does not advise that the part is suitable for API or SL vehicles, however the Mobil Super 3000 X1 FE 5W30 is suitable for your vehicle specifications. So what are the other options? Do i go with the Castrol Edge 0W30 as suggested by EuroCarParts and Castrol or do go for Castrol Edge 5W30 (the Castrol Edge 5W30 doesnt get suggested by Castrol, instead the Magnatec is suggested for the 5W30)

I might go with the Castrol Edge since I cannot get the correct information regarding the Mobil 1. I contacted Castrol via email regarding why they recommend 0W30 for the Edge and 5W30 for the Magnatec. They said the EDGE 5W-30 would be a perfectly suitable oil, the only reason that it is not shown on the Castrol website is because they limit the recommendations to 2 oils generally, one EDGE and one Magnatec. There are a number of oils that could be recommended for the IS250 and they say they went for EDGE 0W-30 as the primary recommendation because it provides a benefit in terms of cold start performance compared to a 5W-30 oil. They also said that Toyota generally recommend 5W-30 because it is the most common viscosity rather than because it is the best or most suitable.

I have sent Mobil an email to enquire about their Mobil1 ESP 5W30. The only two Mobil options with the 5W30 is really the 5W30 ESP or the Mobil Super 3000. But I would prefer to go with the Mobil 1 ESP as from reviews seems like the better product. EuroCarParts first said the Mobil1 ESP 5W30 wasnt suitable but after liasing with the product manager apparrently it is suitable.

I used to use Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic 5w30 on my GS300 and ran perfectly well.

What do you use now on your IS? and was it the Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W30?

Any reasons you stopped using the Mobil 1. Some people are recommending the Mobil Super 3000 X1 5W30 but that seems like a much cheaper oil, it's even cheaper than the Castrol Magnatec. I've also seen some pictures of the bottle which says it's semi-synthetic but apparently its fully synthetic.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links