Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Is 200 Cambelt Change

I need to get a cambelt change on an IS200 SE Auto. It's only got 22250 on the clock but it's 10 years old. Can anyone recommend a reliable garage in North West London to do this?

Does anyone have experience of Lexus Edgware Road? I've heard varying stories about them.

You could try Jemca I think they're called. Or Westfield Motors which is in Rayleigh, but of a trek but I have them for several years and have never really had a problem. I need my cambelt and what comes with it done very soon too.

Hi Rich,

I think Jemca is Lexus Edgware Road. There seem to be a few negative posts about them though. Rayleigh seems a bit far. I'm on the other side of London.

I phoned a garage I used to go to. They quoted me £490 with genuine Lexus parts or £385 without. Lexus Dealers only charge £375!

I just got a quote from Lexus Woodford who took details then called me back.

Cambelt & Water Pump including 3 auxiliary belts quoted £550. 'IF' the tensioner needs replacing then £72 including VAT. Which brings it to a total of £622.

They said if the water pump was to be replaced separately it would cost £395.

Courtesy car is available with £1000 excess and £15 charge.

Seems pricey and still cheaper by Westfield Motors.

The car has only done 22350 miles. I imagine the cambelt is in fairly good condition judging by the look of all the auxilary belts. I'm only getting the cambelt done

due to the age of the car. Do I really need a water pump change? Its a very low milage.

I doubt you need the WP because of the low mileage but remember things do deteriorate over time.

One thing.... It doesn't matter how many miles on the car when you change the cam belt you MUST change the tensioner and idler! I've seen it twice now where an old tensioner chewed up a brand new belt and one was on a low mileage car like yours, maybe a bit more, about 35/40k.

Just so you know, main dealer will be competitive on this job. I paid Lexus to do my cambelt, tensioner and idler and it was £320 all in. I didn't do the WP and mine was on 80,000 and I drove it for 2 years and sold it on 107,000, no problems.

Also belts should be changed every 60k or 6 years. Your aux belts may look in good condition but you can't tell by looking, nobody can. Change the lot, also aux belts at Lexus cost me £50 for all 3 fitted.

Ahh yeah I have a mate living in Kent with a Lexus and the dealers your way are crazy prices.

Mine was done at Lexus Swindon. Lexus Bristol were the exact same price. But my mate had it priced at Canterbury Lexus and it was £500ish.... Might be worth the petrol money and the drive down the M4 to Swindon?

This was 2 years ago by the way so not that long.

Another possibility is to buy the genuine Lexus cambelt kit including tensioner etc for £120 from Lexus Birmingham eBay shop and then getting an Indy or local garage to fit it? Might work out cheaper

Great price that but no idler in the kit,so that would be additional cost,still a great price though.

I purchased a Gaites kit a few weeks back for £125.99 that includes ina tensioner and idler, you can't get bertter than Gaites belts,they supply most car manufacturers anyway. I also got the 3 auxillary belts,Gaites again for £28.99.

Thanks.Lee.

Great price that but no idler in the kit,so that would be additional cost,still a great price though.

I purchased a Gaites kit a few weeks back for £125.99 that includes ina tensioner and idler, you can't get bertter than Gaites belts,they supply most car manufacturers anyway. I also got the 3 auxillary belts,Gaites again for £28.99.

Thanks.Lee.

Lee where did you get the Gaites kit from? And are they a superior up grade to the lexus genuine parts?

Thanks.Lee.

Lee where did you get the Gaites kit from? And are they a superior up grade to the lexus genuine parts?

Hello there,put a search into e bay I bought mine from a genuine seller on there,I also purchased a set of brembo front discs and pads from the same seller.

I'm not saying Gaites is a superior upgrade,what I am saying is most manufactureres they are supplied by Gaites for belts etc.L

exus wouldn't make belts themselves they would purchase from a company who already make belts,the only difference would be you would have Lexus or Toyota stamped on there if you got it from a dealer but not if you just went out and bought a Gaites belt from a motor factors if you see what I mean.

I'm not saying Gaites supply Lexus either as I don't know who supplies them but Gaites do supply a huge part of car manufacturers throughout the car industry, you won't beat gaites i can assure you of that.

Thanks.Lee.

Cheers lee thats brilliant, yeah I get what you mean about them making them etc just wasnt sure if they were good quality same as oem or an upgrade thanks for the links too mate

Gaites are superb quality without a doubt.

Thanks.Lee.

My aux belts and cambelt said mitsoboshi on them (not Mitsubishi) lol....

Agree with everything lee said but you get a years guarantee on genuine Toyota/Lexus parts, not sure you'd get that with another brand but I'll stand corrected if lee says you do :)

My aux belts and cambelt said mitsoboshi on them (not Mitsubishi) lol....

Agree with everything lee said but you get a years guarantee on genuine Toyota/Lexus parts, not sure you'd get that with another brand but I'll stand corrected if lee says you do :)

I don't know about a years guarantee Chris with Gaites or any other makes parts as you say if Lexus offer one years guarantee even if they don't fit the kit then that's a bonus for sure.

Thanks.Lee.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links