Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Wheel Alignment

kev dood

I know there are loads of threads about this issue (have searched and found too many!!), so I was wondering if anyone can now give some clear solutions to this.

Basically my front offside tyre is starting to wear more on the inside edge (about 1-2"). Is this due to the tracking or the camber of the wheel?

Also, is it best to get a full wheel alignment (will this cover camber etc too) or just front tracking done?

I have tried to find the correct settings for the complete setup but have not been successful - I remember in a previous thread that I think SupraChargedIS340 mentioned they are on here somewhere? It was to do with someone saying the garag set the car up to what there values said, but that didn't match the ones from lexus (and on this site)!

And lastly, are all 4 wheels fully adjustable, camber, toe etc or just the front. If its just the fronts then is a 4 wheel alignment necessary as its harder to knock out, and then adjust back in the rears!!?

Sorry for the long post but I think it would be nice to try to put all this info in the one place!

ta all.

I went to a wheel/tyre place and their settings did not match the ones lexus used. If I use them again they said they'd input the correct specs from the report that lexus produced for me.

Not everything is adjustable but by getting the tracking checked you may find a problem that needs a repair instead of an adjustment. Eg I had something out that couldn't be adjusted and lexus replaced the shocks under warranty to fix it.

I was wondering the same thing because when i lowered my car last weekend i noticed some adjusters on the rear wishbones ,they are like an oval shaped disc with markings on , i pressume there for the camber setting.unfortunatly i didnt notice these untill i came to put it all back together so im not sure if i got them back in the same position.they are also present on the fronts but i dint need to take them off on the front so theyll be ok.i will be going to get my tracking done in a few weeks as its advisable when youve lowered your car anyway but im wondering if this will include camber settings and will your average Kwik Fit have the correct values.any advice would be cool :)

Come on, someone here must know the correct values! I have read that someone went back to a place who did their tracking as when they looked at the printout it showed different ones.

Therefore someone must know the correct ones. :blink:

TonyGoose, what car do you have, as in another posting you mention you had a printout?

Fluff34567 - you had them set incorrectly, what settings did you have to give them, and where did you get them!

Were they the below one, SupraChargedIS340 posted these -

TRACKING SETTINGS

Camber

-0 degrees 21' +/- 30'

right/left error 30' or less

Caster

5 degrees 46' +/- 30'

right/left error 30' or less

Toe-in Total

0 degrees 06' +/- 12'

rack end lenth difference 1.5mm or less

Are these correct for a UK IS200 standard spec? If so then I should be able to take these to a tyre place and tell them to match it - is that correct?

The report I got from Lexus Reading included the following specifications:

FRONT

Caster Min = 5 deg 16', Max = 6 deg 16'

Camber Min = -0 deg 51', Max = 0 deg 9'

Toe Min = -0 deg 6', Max = 0 deg 18'

SAI = 9 deg 16'

REAR

Camber Min = -0 deg 53', Max = 0 deg 7'

Toe Min = 0 deg, Max = 0 deg 24'

I have just got back from having mine done.

I had 4 wheel alignment using this 3D system... looked well cool and the car feels really nice now.

however.. dont be fooled when a mechanic says they cannot do Caster.. make sure you go somehwere where they know how to do it and are willing to do it.

i was fobbed off... but then turned round to the guy and told him he was wrong and that the car does have caster adjustment.

i have now got the car spot on! and the bearing noise i thought it was was very bad tracking which screwed my tyres.

dont be fobbed.. do research here first.. took me 4 trips to get the right info and I told them what i wanted.. and I got it

What was the total cost?

also. the oval shaped discs with adjustments on the rear and front wishbones i mentioned in my post....are these the camber adjustment then? cheerz

What was the total cost?

also. the oval shaped discs with adjustments on the rear and front wishbones i mentioned in my post....are these the camber adjustment then? cheerz

yes those are for camber adjustments - dont fiddle with them yourself!!!

what is the caster angle then? If they quote figures for it, then how do you adjust it if its out??

for a brief explanation on castor angle CLICK HERE

The figures quoted are set by the geometry of the suspension components. There is no physical adjustment unlike the camber angle, if the castor angle is out then you have to start looking elsewhere for the problem, ie as javadude said he had the shocks replaced and that solved the problem.

the bloke down the garage did say that they have worked on lex before and they never had the caster adjustment!

The rtracking on mine was 9.9 in total when it should be about 1.0

thats how bad it was out!

i paid £47 inc caster adjustment... drives like a dream!

I'm a little confused then. Steve how can you have had you Caster adjusted - or does your Soarer have that capability and the IS not?

Good explaination site though - ta for that.

Javadude, did you get that sorted under warrenty then?

thats cool, as thats what I have. If it cannot be adjusted then lets hope its hard to knock out and therefore will probably not happen.

So, I have to find a decent place that can check them all and can also adjust the camber on the rears if need be.

Sounds like its gonna be about £60 to get it all done and at a decent place, maybe more.

Yup - all 4 shocks replaced as they'd been redesigned so they couldn't just replace 2 plus the wheel alignment done all under warranty. Plus RX300 as courtesy car, newly washed while I had a coffee as they felt it was too dirty to lend me. Plus they washed and hoovered my car. Plus it was ready when they said it would be. I'd only had the car a couple of months and the service I received was on a different planet to vauxhall - the make of car I previously owned.

Oh it was Lexus Reading by the way.

my castor is at 7 degrees but im not worried about it as both are about the same, give or take a few minutes, and as far as i can tell it handles just the same as any other IS - who knows it may have been like that for years :ph34r:

I'm a little confused then. Steve how can you have had you Caster adjusted - or does your Soarer have that capability and the IS not?

Good explaination site though - ta for that.

yes the soarer has the adjustment for caster

thing is alot of tyre places will lie and say it doesnt... when really it does.

As rob says the IS doesnt... as not all cars do have the option.

Java, thats good news, by the way did you buy your car from them? I get my servicing etc there and I like them. Good set of people and nice service.

Fluff, maybe if its out then you can also get the dealer to put new shocks on?? If its free you may as well have it!

Cheers for the info Steve and others. Maybe the values posted above could be pinned in the wheels etc section or something for all others to see??

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links