Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Will Bigger Wheels Increase My Ground Clearance?

HoodRich

Hi,

I have a IS200 with stock 17 5-spoke alloys. I have lowered my car just 35mm (H&R). I noticed that before I lowered my car, it had a very small ground clearance....even though there was a huge gap between the wheels and the arches (probably the size of my fist). After I lowered it, I can fit 2 fingers in the back and one and a half in the front. What this means is that my undercarriage sits VERY close to the ground - even when the car is empty. When I have passengers, it is VERY low - no rubbing of the wheels on the arches, but the ground clearance is really small. I have troubles on some driveways.

Anyway, my question is - if I fit 18's , will that increase my ground clearance? I hate wheel arch gap, but also like my under-carriage ;-) Will 18's raise my undercarriage a bit?

I'm confused. You noticed before you lowered it, it didn't have much in the way of ground clearance, but you went ahead and lowered it, and now you want to change wheels to increase the ground clearance because it's too low?

Hello - change it back to stock springs and your ground clearance issue will be better?!?!

• Like 1

Wouldn't think so as 18" wheels have basically the same rolling radius as 17's due to lower profile tyres.

What Ian said; unless you select an 18" rim and tyre combo that has larger rolling radius than the factory 17s, you're going to notice negligible changes to your ground clearance.

Thanks for all the input guys. Appreciated. I guess I am SOL.

Matt - yes, the car would scrape on certain (really bad) driveways once in a while before I lowered it. I knew It had a low ground clearance. I went ahead and lowered it anyway....I absolutely hate the big gap between the wheel and wheel arch! I think it just kills the sporty look of the car. Besides, I didn't exactly "slam" the car - it's only a 35mm drop which is the bare minimum to get rid of that 4x4 look.

Guess I will have to live with just driving carefully ....no way am I going back to stock suspension :-)

• Like 1

Just seems so odd - it scraped before lowering it, and you knew it had ground clearance problems, but then lowered it anyway (thus furthering the ground clearance issues) and now want to find a solution to increasing the ground clearance? Mind boggling......

Matt-C --> You sound just like my wife! :innocent:

Seriously though, I am looking for a way to lose the wheel-arch gap, but maximise on ground clearance ......if that makes sense.

• Like 1

*drool* I can only dream about running an air suspension! That will probably cost more than the value of my car! hehe

Thanks for sharing, Ganesh - cool vid!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links