Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

H7 Upgraded Bulb Differences

Interesting, I needed to replace one of the main beam bulbs on the wifes RX, which had been running US Sylvania Silverstars (Not the Euro Osram SilverStars which are not as bright), these are 55watt.......I thought I'd try some bulbs to match the HiD colour rendition in the dips, so after trawling around various reviews came to the conclusion the MTEC 65watt 4350K "blue bulbs" would be a good match, which they are....or were as they are feeble in output compared to the original SilverStars.
Anyhoo, I bought several types of H7 bulb and have been experimenting with a lightmeter and a diffuser over the main beam to even the pattern and give a "standard" bright area to read from.

MTEC 65watt 4350K.........14.5 EV
Osram Nightbreaker..........15 EV
Sylvania SS....................15.5 EV
Philips 65watt.................16 EV

From this the MTEC (my baseline) indeed matched the colour but output was very much down. The Osram NB was good with about 50% more output, the Sylvania was 50% up on the Osram and finally the Philips was obviously much brighter at twice the output of the Osram NB, the colour temp of the NB, SS and Philips were all roughly the same (standard halogen warm) but the outputs were a revelation, I thought the 65watt might give 20-30% more than a 55watt but obviously it doesn't work like this.

OK tried a practical comparison last night between the MTECH hid colour bulb (all singing all dancing Japanese technology super dooper bulb) and the original Sylvania Silverstar, quite a difference icon_eek.gif

mtechbulbmainbeam.jpgSylvSSmainbeam.jpg

I think the Ring is just another uprated 55watt so probably much the same as the 55watt Osram/Philips etc......theres no substitute for inches as they say and 65watt Philips although only just, is the best result so far and resides in my dip beam presently, the SS is the main beam.

I have bought the RING bulbs for my other car that takes H7 for both dipped and high beam because an online supplier currently has a very good deal on these, and also because they have very good reviews.

Very pleased with the result. The spread of the beam is longer and more even that the ones that were previously fitted to the car, and the light is much brighter and whiter.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links