Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Handbrake Warning Light

Hi guys,

Just encountered my first problem on my lexus :-(

Took a drive this morning and I noticed that the handbrake light was on while I was driving. When I got home, I googled and found that it could be a fused high level brake light bulb (the one on the parcel shelf) I opened up and checked the bulb. It was indeed blown. So I went out and bought a new bulb. I just installed it, and it's working fine.

However, after pressing the brake pedal, the hand brake light reappears and stays on. If I switch off the engine, and startup again, it will be off, but after pressing on the brake pedal, it comes on again :-(

Also, I am struggling to refit the light on the rear parcel shelf the way it was. I just can't get it clipped back in :-( no clips are broken....but I just can't get it nice and flush like it was.

Any advice?

That's prob your problem, it's not fitted back the way it was. I know it's a pain to change, I did mine and it took ages for me to get it back in the way it was.

The only other reasons this light comes on is

The handbrake is on (obv not)

Low brake fluid (doubt this as well but worth checking)

Really? Wow....I'll really be amazed by the car if it's still warning me because the light cover thing is not fitted back correctly! So, here is the question...how do I fit back correctly?? I tried and tried to no avail. Do I just push down and slide toward the glass?? Do I need to remove the back seats and take out the parcel tray?

I tried resetting the ECU.....didn't help at all :-(

Sorry guys........I should have mentioned when I responded to Chris that the brake fluid level is fine. I also checked for any leaks in the wheels.....nothing. No leaks on the garage floor either.

I was thinking - could it not be a possibility that the bulb I replaced it with was not exactly the correct one and thats why the car is not happy? The one I took out says 18W, but the new one I got has no markings on it (other than a brand name) so I'm not 100% sure its exactly the same wattage. Could that be it?

Other than that, I will take Chris's advice and try to refit the light back how it was.......but I'm failing dismally at that!

Thanks for the suggestions thus far

Chris - the bulb is definitely sitting correctly - I can see the light working when I press the pedal.

Incorrect bulb-type is my last hope ......will swing by Lexus today and pick up a "genuine" bulb... *fingers crossed*

Chris - I came across this link

http://www.justanswer.com/lexus/72scc-lexus-sc300-just-changed-rear-lights-market.html

So, it seems that the car does measure the resistance of the bulbs and will report a warning if its different to stock.

I called Lexus for a price on a replacement bulb - R157. A far cry from the R10 I paid for a bulb yesterday at a local spares shop! :msn-oh:

Will stop by the dealership on the way home today and pick up a "genuine" bulb.

So, stopped by Lexus Dealer today - after confirming telephonically that they have the bulbs in stock, I get there and they tell me there is no stock. Bummer. Anyway, they ordered it for me and say it should be at their premises tomorrow. I'm really anxious to know if the OEM bulb will sort out my issue.

Will keep you guys posted,.

Picked up the new bulb from Lexus today and installed it. Worked like a charm. No more handbrake warning light on the dashboard. Its quite amazing that such an old car is so advanced to pick up a difference in the resistance of a bulb.

Glad the problem is resolved.

:unsure:

You're right....but I discovered the burned bulb on a Sunday and most places were closed (with the exception of a local spares shop). Didnt think it would make a difference, but now I know it does!

Thanks for all the advice, Chris.

Now, I just need some help in clipping the rear parcel shelf light-housing back into place. Still struggling with that!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links