Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Newbie Question About Alternator And Battery

hi

i have a 96 Ls for about 7 years, well looked after and has taken me in the past to Finland. all of of sudden on the 23/12/13, the Battery died on me and i had a jump start , i took it my mechanic who says the alternator is not fully charging the Battery. this is my second Ls and i have never gone through this problem before

long story short i think i might sell and upgrade to ls430 what do you think.

Hello and welcme to the LOC.

If you don't mind me saying so why would you want to change a car you have had for 7 years,appears reliable and just because you have a charging problem you are thinking of replacing it?

How long has the Battery been on the car? How did your mechanic check the charge rate of the alternator?

Either way a battery/alternator/both would probably be the best option.

A common killer of the early LS400 alternator is a leaking Power steering pump reservoir O ring costing a few pounds.

• Like 2

cheers Steve and happy new year

thanks for your response but i feel i need a change and the missus on my back as she whats to get something smaller

which i am trying to figure out.

how much do think i can get for it with a 142,000 miles on the clock?

My guess, if the faults were repaired, it would probably be worth around £800ish?

Far less than they're actually really worth of course. I'm assuming the LS430 is not the "smaller" car your wife wants! Actually, I like the MK3 LS400, and the mileage is quite low, are you sure you want to part with it?

Hi there. To test whether your alternator is definitely failing, do this; get the car started, either via a jump start or a charged -up Battery and then switch on all the electrics you can find i.e. full headlights, heater blower, rear demister, interior lights, etc. and leave a good long while like this. Then try to notice if there is any considerable and continuous dimming of any lights taking place. If there is, your alternator is on the way out. If not, you have a faulty discharging Battery and your alternator is fine.

• Like 1

" man up " ....... the Mk3 is a great car, the battery/alternator is a minor issue and easily resolvable at minimum cost ...... the Ls430 by comparison just might be your nemesis, a moneypit !

142k mils on a Mk3 is like 25% of it's drivetrain life :hehe:

Malc

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links