Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Fog Lights On Even When The Sun Is Shining.

Why is it that we cannot lift our arms up to operate a small switch to turn the damn things off, don't believe it takes to many calories to get involved in this little bit of exercise while driving.

It drives me mad at this time of year. As well as driving a lot of motorists mad its down right dangerous to keep them on, that includes the front ones.

https://www.gov.uk/driving-adverse-weather-conditions-226-to-237/fog-234-to-236

Same here, they are called fog lights for a reason,equally you have those that drive with their side lights and fog lights on and not their head lights even when its dark.Furthermore don't know if many have noticed but when drl lights are on,no rear lights are on and when it gets dark you find some still driving with them on,but with the rear ones off-not a sensible thing either.

I don't understand why it's illegal to drive in good visibility with fog lights on , whilst many cars are fitted with permanent driving lights, many of which have multiple LEDs and are just as bright. Am I missing something?

I don't understand why it's illegal to drive in good visibility with fog lights on , whilst many cars are fitted with permanent driving lights, many of which have multiple LEDs and are just as bright. Am I missing something?

Fog lights are high intensity lights which are much much brighter than DRLs or normal rear lights which are basically side lights.

Because fog lights are high intensity lights they have the ability to blind on coming drivers even more so when its wet, when rear high intensity lights are left on I am sure yourself you suddenly see them and you think that someone is breaking on top of that in clear visibility they also have the effect of dazzling you, both these things make it dangerous that's why its illegal to drive around with them switched on just because people think it looks good.

Why would you want to have your fog lights front & rear switched on when there is no lawful reason for them to be switched on?

• Like 1

I had a new Honda Civic as a hire car a week or so ago and the first night I used it I turned the ignition key and thought that the headlights had come on automatically like the LS400, it wasn't until the driver behind began flashing me I realised I was infact driving with just the DRLs on.

They were so bright they appeared like dipped beam, of course as mentioned above I had no rear lights on hence being flashed.

What also threw me was the dash was also permenantly illuminated day or night.

This drives me crazy as well - almost as much as people who stop or park on the face of on coming traffic with their headlights on!! I can feel my blood boiling just thinking about it!

• Like 2

It is an offence to use fog lights improperly.

Mate of mine at my old NHS job can testify to that, he got stopped and given a fixed penalty (i think the penalty was for him being a ****, as he may have just got a telling off if he had not been such a bolshy pillock)

Rule 236 driving in adverse weather conditions, this is the rule.

You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see rule 226) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves.

And the law bit

Law RVLR regs 25 & 27

Reg 27. No person shall use, or cause or permit to be used, on a road any vehicle on which any lamp, hazard warning signal device or warning beacon of a type specified in an item in column 2 of the Table below is used in a manner specified in that item in column 3:
Front fog lamp
(a) Used so as to cause undue dazzle or discomfort to other persons using the road.
(b)Used so as to be lit at any time other than in conditions of seriously reduced visibility.

©Used so as to be lit when a vehicle is parked.
Rear fog lamp
(a) Used so as to cause undue dazzle or discomfort to the driver of a following vehicle.
(b)Used so as to be lit at any time other than in conditions of seriously reduced visibility.

© Save in the case of an emergency vehicle, used so as to be lit when a vehicle is parked."

All from www.gov.uk website

Not had many replies telling us why they drive around with those lights on. Perhaps all Lexus drivers know what the law is and abide by it.

Perhaps those that do are unable to read or use a keyboard?! Perhaps they are in their cars pushing all the buttons and switches so the pretty lights come on their dashboards?!

I must stop taking these sarcasm pills!

• Like 1

Not had many replies telling us why they drive around with those lights on. Perhaps all Lexus drivers know what the law is and abide by it.

Perhaps those that do are unable to read or use a keyboard?! Perhaps they are in their cars pushing all the buttons and switches so the pretty lights come on their dashboards?!

I must stop taking these sarcasm pills!

Keep taking the sarcasm pills, i get mine on presciption now

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links