Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Oil Re-Fill After Draining

OK so did my first oil change. I drained the oil from my IS250 and took out the oil filter and replaced that too. I warmed up the oil slightly to help it run better. I let the oil drain from the sump until very few drops were dripping every so often. I waited for over 15 mins for the drops to stop but it was still dripping every so often. So decided to clean it and put the new gasket in. Then i replaced the filter and the O ring.

I drained out just under 6 litres. Possibly about 5.6litres. The filter also had a bit of oil too.

User manual says 6.3L of oil is needed if replacing oil filter too. I filled an entire 4litre bottle. then i measured 2 litres from a new 4 litre bottle and poured that in too. I then waited about 20 minutes to check the dipstick, and the problem is that since the oil is new and very thin and light, its practically impossible to read the dipstick as the oil is all over the dipstick.

I didnt fill the full 6.3L because i thought i would wait until the 6 litres is in and gives me a reading on the dipstick and then add the 0.3Litres. But problem is i cannot read the dipstick. I remember having this issue everytime i try and read a new oil reading after having dealers do the oil change.

I can only seem to read the dipstick when the oil is gone black.

Question is, i couldnt have added too much oil could I? because the dipstick comes out smudged with oil, but even before it would do that but the black thick oil would usually be what i read. And finally, what should i do about the remaining 0.3Litres? should i just put it in?

Would really appreciate some advice on this.

Thanks

You should be able to see an oil film on the stick if it has been filled with the recommended amount.

I always use an engine flush as it, I think amongst other things, it helps it drain better. Along with that I always empty the oil when its hot/warm so it runs out better. When it stops "dripping" I have always put a small amount of new oil in to flush the remnants of the old oil out and when it comes out clear I put the plug back on.

Remember there will be a residual amount of oil left in the new oil can you used to refill.

I presume you've done the change / cleaned the dip stick and re-inserted it and then checked it again to find no film on the stick..

I would run the engine for a bit then check again when its cooled down as 0.3 of a litre is negligible... top it up until you see an oil film on the stick.

I'd suggest wiping the dipstick with a clean dry cloth or tissue, then reinsert and carefully examine the dipstick against a white sheet of paper in good light. Use a torch if necessary.

The oil film should be visible.

I did clean the dipstick few times and put it back in and then took a look unable to read the level. There is oil on the dipstick but its so runny and thin and as it smudges as i'm pulling it out, it becomes hard to tell where the level is at. It's all over the dipstick and makes it look like i've overfilled it as there is oil smudges higher up on the dipstick. But this was also the case before i drained the oil but as the oil was old and black, i was able to read it easily on the dipstick.

I didnt try reading the level after letting the car run for a while. I drove the car around for 15-20minutes so will check the oil level again in the morning.

Try to find a long pipe cleaner such as this on eBay (item number 350804995802 ) but a bit longer

If your stick is pulling up gunge from the leed pipe then may be worth you giving the pipe a clean so you can have a good reading but be careful you don't lose the pipe cleaner as there will be no retrieval. Put a bit of oil in the pipe when cleaning.

Try to find a long pipe cleaner such as this on ebay (item number 350804995802 ) but a bit longer

If your stick is pulling up gunge from the leed pipe then may be worth you giving the pipe a clean so you can have a good reading but be careful you don't lose the pipe cleaner as there will be no retrieval. Put a bit of oil in the pipe when cleaning.

Thanks, maybe i will get something like that and give the pipe a clean. I've always had trouble with smudging dipstick.

Newbie and ChumpusRex, after replacing your oil filter and draining the oil, do you add the full 6.3Litres before starting the car? So far i've got 6Litres in there +/- 10-15ml

I get the level right then start the car then re-check after, just to make sure the oil has worked its way through the engine components. A bit late for you now but I do think doing an engine flush prior to the oil change helps a lot as it thins the old oil down - I have never had any issues in doing this.

OK so after re-filling 6litres and not being able to read the dipstick. I ran the engine for a while and drove the car around. Then let the car sit overnight and this afternoon attempted to read the dipstick again and this time its very clear to read. The oil mark is between the min and max dots just under half way i would say about 1 or 2mm below the half way mark. So after driving it to work and back tomorrow, i will re-check and maybe add the remaining 0.3L that was supposed to be added.

What level on the dipstick do you keep your car at? if i put 0.3L more it will probably take it about 1 or 2 mm above the half way line.

I don't keep mine specifically to any level - providing its around half way and clean I am happy. Max and min is just a guide - if there was a specific level then there would be one mark to keep it to.

Half way is fine - as with all cars just check regularly.

One other point to mention is after a bit driving it after an oil change I would just do a quick check on the sump plug (just being cautious) to make sure its still tight.

Try this: Get a tissue and lay it flat down on a hard surface

Take another tissue and totally dry the dipstick (I mean completely clean it - all the way up and down)

Push the dipstick back into it's housing, all the way down.

Pull all the way out and very quickly lay it down on the tissue - making sure that that the tip is right on edge of the tissue, and lift up once it has contacted the tissue

Hopefully you'll be able to see a moisture patch the length and width of the dipstick representing the height of wetness (if that makes sense). Use this to work it out. You need to do the final step quickly as oil will "creep" on the tissue.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links