Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Is300H Lets Get The Myths Out Of The Way

Well I think there are a few of us who have had a good play with the cars and I would like to get some of the myths out of the way and make some first opinion observations.

Engine/gear whine... This is a myth... This is by far the quietest car I have owned (I have had a few s-class mercs and 7 series bm's too). If you open the windows and apply the brakes going down hill you can hear the slight whine of the electric motor charging the Battery but this is not intrusive and can't really be heard at all with the windows closed. Verdict: Don't think even the LS could be any quieter!

Performance... This car is plenty quick. It is fast off the mark than most diesels and overtaking from 30mph it is really quick. Apart from top speed and in everyday normal driving this feels just as fast as my last 3.0d Jag XF. Verdict: There are no real world performance compromises with this car!

Economy... Ok these are new cars and the hybrids take a few 000's miles to operate efficiently (my Prius took 3K) but driving this normally and not caring about economy I think you would be easily getting mid 40mpg and if I drove this in the hybrid Eco way I am sure I could get 55+mpg quite easily. Verdict: This is as good or better than the leading eco diesels (especially if you are talking city driving) and when you factor in better brake wear, the lower cost of petrol and cheaper road tax this wins by some margin!

Build quality... It is a Lexus... say no more! The build and fit and finish are really good and mechanically everything feels well put together. There have been several comments about switchgear felling a little plasickly and the bootlid having no weight. I think generally a lot of plastics are changing in all cars to be more eco friendly and they do have a different feel. I tested a Merc CLA and this had cheaper feeling plastic than the Lexus. Overall I don't think it feels cheap just different. The bootlid is really light but that is because it is made of alloy so it is not a cheap item at all. It is sprung well and does not fly open and can be shut easily from being a couple of inches open without any real drama. I have had cars with CF boot and engine covers and they felt light too. But this is all in aid of keeping the CG low and the handling great. I agree is is not built like my 1982 LS400 but I wouldn't want it built like that today either! Verdict: It is still a true Lexus in build.

Chassis/Handling... Well I have an F Sport but drove a Premier too. The F Sport is firm and I would say if you were comparing it to something like the BMW 3 series then I reckon it is around 95% as capable. My wife has a 3 series Msport and the ride quality is much worse than the F Sport but I think part of the BM's problem is run flat tyres so if they had the same tyres I would say the IS has about 95% of the handling and the same general road manners... However where the Lexus F Sport really does excel is over speed humps... How Lexus has managed to get such a fine handling car to go over speed bumps so well is a mystery! Potholes still thump but no worse than the Jag or BM. Verdict: Find a nice road and enjoy!

Interior... Seats are great and most will find them very comfortable. I tried both the sport and non sport seats and there was not much difference in comfort I think either are good for long distance driving. Good head room in the front and good in the back too for a compact saloon. Cup holders at the front are a set a little too far back for my liking and the glove compartment is a little small. centre console has a nice cable routing clip so you can have a charging lead plugged in with the phone in a cup holder whilst the lid is closed. Not keen on the touch temperature controls but that is just me! Verdict: A nice place to be!

Navigation/Mouse... The LCD screens picture quality is really good. Graphics are no better or worse than most others and the mouse take a little getting used to but does have good feedback so if you have two options you feel two physical clicks as you move it or 5 options you get five clicks. Most things work well... It has a full postcode search and imports contacts and works well with iPhones. There are a lot of settings to the media and connected services and options and not all are obvious... however once set most things won't need changing. Verdict: It's a complex gadget... read the manual.

Sound System... I have the standard sound system that came with the navigation system. I must say it sound very good. I don't know what the Mark Levinson sounds like but the standard one is much better than the premium sound system my wife has in the BM and I would say it is on par with the Bower & Wilkins I had in the Jag. Verdict: The standard system is more than goo enough for most people!

Looks and design... It looks sharp and is a nice departure from the Euro mould execs. Sure it will polarise opinions but this is a good thing for car design. I would have preferred the hybrid having an exaust diffuser more like the GS but this is a minor point. Verdict: Not everyone will like it but lot's will absolutely love it!

These are just my observations and it will be interesting to see comments from other owners.

• Like 1

I'm afraid all I can do is completely agree with the above, and I'm certain that the problems with the 2nd Gen IS (rattles from the dashboard, corroding alloys) will have been well and truly addressed.

As for the engine noise, I can only assume that the reviewers want a V8 growl or else they condemn it. It doesn't growl that's for sure but does that detract from the driving experience? For me, not a bit of it. It's refined, effortless and I love it.

Mine has developed a rattle coming from the top of the dash on the passenger side - it seems to stem from the speaker cover or the air vents.

I'm hoping after some opening and shutting of the vents and pressing down on the cover that it will disappear - the main reason I got rid of my Evqoue was because of the incessant rattling :angry:

Thus far no rattles... you find them more irritating in quiet cars... I had a squeak from the back seat in the prius... you would never have heard it in a normal car but it used to irritate me until the dealer used some silicon spray on the seat mounting and it went! Hope yours goes soon!

David (Staffs),

But apart from that it's awful, eh? :)

David (Cumbria),

Make absolutely sure it's not the sun visor rattling against the windscreen. That's what mine was.

As you say, worth checking air vents and ensuring synthetic noise is fully off.

• Like 1

David (Staffs),

But apart from that it's awful, eh? :)

David (Cumbria),

Make absolutely sure it's not the sun visor rattling against the windscreen. That's what mine was.

As you say, worth checking air vents and ensuring synthetic noise is fully off.

Yes absolutely awful... that's what I tell the wife so she doesn't drive it! :)

Hi Ian

It's not me with the rattle, it's the one in Durham.

Wicksy

I see from your registration plate you dealt with the dealer I have my 250 on order from ( Newcastle ), how was the experience?,

any freebies?.

D

Right, it's just too confusing... which one of you wants to be Dave, which one Dav, and which one D?! :)

I thought you had to be called David to buy the first batch! Must be different rules in NI :)

Hi Ian

Wicksy

I see from your registration plate you dealt with the dealer I have my 250 on order from ( Newcastle ), how was the experience?,

any freebies?.

D

Hi Ian

Wicksy

any freebies?.

D

Hi David from Cumbria!

Lexus Newcastle have been superb from start to finish but I have ordered several cars from them in the past and never had a problem

Dameon Rudd (Sales Manager) has been a pleasure to deal with and I'm sure you will find them very good to deal with too.

It looks like I may have to take the Lex back to them this week re the rattle unless I can discover the cause myself but I'm very confident that they will sort the problem out without any fuss.

David from Durham (but Sunderland really!)

Hi David from Durham or should I say Sunderland.

Thanks for the reply, as you can see I crossed the country to order my 250, I've bought my last two lexus's ( or should that be lexi )

from a dealer closer to home, but I got a better deal from Newcastle and the experience so far as been very positive, but your endowment is reassuring non the less, thanks again.

Hurry on the end of October.

Sorry to go off topic guys.

D

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links