Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

We came home Saturday, a bit late from 2weeks in France ,everything fine until Sunday morning. I went out and tried to start the car--nothing tried again still nothing no power at all, on the 3rd attempt she fired up I left it running for a couple of minutes turned it off then tried again same problem nothing until 2nd attempt I checked the pos and neg terminals-OK used a volt meter which showed 12:3 volts,-OK. I then used a hydrometer and on 5 of the cells got reading of between 12.30 and 12.40 but on the 6th cell it was below 11.30 .I know that is far too low, but why did it take 3 and the 2 attempts to start I don't know how old the Battery is but only one cell below 12.00 shouldn't cause the problem. any ideas please or is a new Battery the answer and which are the best ones ?? :innocent:

Could be starter motor, if you mean the car didn't turn over when you turned the key, or as you say, poor connection somewhere.

Hopefully it's the latter, or even a duff Battery, as I believe the starter motor is a bit of a pig to get to.

Battery cells are connected in series just like the old bulb type Christmas tree lights, if one bulb went all the lights went out.

The same applies to car batteries if one cell fails the whole Battery can.

When you say the car was completely dead was it? No dash lights,no interior lights or were these present and the car just not cranking?

If the Battery is over 3 years old I would invest the £60.00 odd in an OEM Toyota replacement. :)

Thanks chaps, all the dash lights were on, just not cranking, I'll nip down to Lexus and see about a new Battery, yes it is over 3years old, I bought the car in April 2008 so I don't know how long it had been on the car previously. cheers boys :driving:

Thanks chaps, all the dash lights were on, just not cranking, I'll nip down to Lexus and see about a new battery, yes it is over 3years old, I bought the car in April 2008 so I don't know how long it had been on the car previously. cheers boys :driving:

Nothing lasts these days. Mike

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links