Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

New Lexus Owner Help Needed!

Hi Guys,

Just bought my first lexus a month ago (1999 IS200) and the lights on the dash board have stopped working!!

All of the warning lights are fine its just the dials/center console are not illuminated. I have checked a few fuses that i though could be the right ones but they seem fine.

Does the dimmer switch have its own fuse/relay?

Really need to get this sorted ASAP as i cant see how fast i am travelling at night!!

Thanks

Dave

Seem to be a few of these just lately. First check fuses in driver footwell marked gauge and panel, secondly check that the dimmer switch plug is secure.

Hi Dave, welcome to the club! Cambridgeshire - yeah! :D

Bear in mind that bulbs do go, one of mine has blown months ago and I still need to replace it lol.

How about you change them over to see if they light up to make sure that the bulbs have blown.

Thanks for the replies gents!!!

I don't think its the bulbs as its the whole dashboard that all went at once, where in cambs are you?

Is the dimmer switch plug under the bonnet? have checked both the fuses in the driver footwell and they are fine

Thanks again for your help guys :phone:

Im in Orchard Park. What about you?

BTW you can download Ulysse Speedometer which gives you accurate measure when driving at night. You will need GPS on your phone tho to use the app. Ive been using it a few times and works very good - best app on the market!

In terms of fuses, its worth checking all fuses to be on the safe side. The dimmer switch should also dimm the heater controls, are they off as well??

Otherwise there might be an issue with the ECU body....but need to do more research.

Also, there should be a wiring diagram on LOC or other IS websites for Gauge cluster....I will have a look once I got some more time.

As you can see from this drawing, the lighting for the combination meter shares the same circuit as much of the dashboard back lighting. So, you must have a loose plug or something of that description if everything else is working, and the rheostat still varies everything else.

All of the rheostat controlled feeds you will see are terminated at connector J9. Which I think is behind the passenger airbag if it is a mirror image of a left hand drive car. Otherwise, it will be behind the dash clocks.

ScreenShot2013-08-28at195413_zps1123dcc5

Thanks for your help guys. Have an afternoon off work tomorrow so will have another play around with it then.

The heater control lights are all off to so it must be just one thing knocking them all out

I found what looks like a relay under the bonnet with 'dimmer' written on it???is this anything to to with the dimmer switch?

Sorry if i seem a bit daft but electronics arent my strong point,lol

Thanks again guys

do you have an aftermarket cd unit ?

I came across one where the dash circuit board had a burn mark slit which caused the lights to stop working. this was due to some faulty wiring plug connected to the radio unit..

if not then its either a fuse or bulb behind dash..

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links