Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Ls400 Alarm Immobiliser Confusion, 94 Model

Hi all,

Direct Line want to know about the alarm/immobiliser. And coincidentally I was searching around trying to find out how to get a spare key.

I found this Thatcham website page which gives a model number of "5000" and Thatcham number (whatever one o' them is) of TC1 - 75/0694, so thought my LS had alarm & immobiliser.

http://www.thatchamsecurity.co.uk/car_alarms/category_1/original_equipment/toyota.htm

But on a locksmith website it says there was no immobiliser before 95, and alarm sites say different things about the model years. Which would mean having to fork out to get one installed, otherwise no theft cover.

Who's right ?

Depends where u live in Cambs but I'd have thought we were all pretty safe with elderly Lexuses NOT being pinched .... they couldn't afford the petrol for a starter, let alone driving it away with the inbuilt security which I know they have. Even my Mk1 had some sort of theft inhibitor !

Malc

Bill, hi just checked my Mk2 handbook and it says the car is fitted with an alarm and engine immobilizer . From experience I know that when the alarm has gone off you cannot open the boot from inside the car ,locked my keys in doh .

Thanks guys that's good to know.

I tried other co's but they were the only ones affordable to me - I have no NCB, despite being past 25 (twice.. cough), have only had classic things and bikes till now. As a named driver with them you get a NCB-ish discount, so they ended up cheapest by a good way.

I'm paying for the cover so I'd like to have it in place, and I do get about too. People are unlikely to nick an LS for a joyride I guess, but cars do get lifted just for weighing in, though it's supposed to be harder now. Some of the people known for this sort of thing are in this area.

Anyway, I shall do battle with 'em tomorrow and see how it goes. Cheers again.

Possibly read my other thread in the Lexus General Discussions Forum .......... and subject .............. Mid Stream change of address and Insurer's Rip-Off ............................. my dreadful experiences continuing with Saga :arrrggg-matey:

The after care really does matter.

It's up to 1166 viewings already !

Malc

Tell them it is fitted with a factory fitted Lexus approved security system and if it's good enough for Lexus it should be good enough for insurance purposes, be honest would Lexus build a £50k car and put some cheap and nasty security system in it?

I can't remember who I tried, I used some portals and went direct to some.

I hope the Thatcham page will be evidence enough. I tried the factory-fitted line but the person on the phone was pretty hopeless - distinct impression they're just phone jockeys under pressure with targets and everything scripted and rigid. Trying again tomorrow, maybe I won't have to talk to the front line people, and can get a bit 'deeper' to someone with more of a clue...

I can't remember who I tried, I used some portals and went direct to some.

I hope the Thatcham page will be evidence enough. I tried the factory-fitted line but the person on the phone was pretty hopeless - distinct impression they're just phone jockeys under pressure with targets and everything scripted and rigid. Trying again tomorrow, maybe I won't have to talk to the front line people, and can get a bit 'deeper' to someone with more of a clue...

Best of luck with that Bill .

Fingers XD for you ...... just read on Yahoo finance news the outcome of " Best Car Insurers " survey for 2012 and NFU came tops again .......... there's a comprehensive list given of the Top 40.

Malc

Thatcham's website isn't good enough for them it seems.. I have to get something from Lexus, via a dealer to say what it is or something like that. I'm off next week so will visit the local one.

If that doesn't work out I'll have to move insurer.

More news next week..

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links