Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

I have a question regarding the side and brake lights on my car.

Mrs V reported a warning light on the dash, which turned out to be the brake warning light, which in turn LED me to finding the nearside brake light was out.

Off with the lens, out with offending bulb, which was indeed blown.

Five minutes and two quid later, I had a new bulb in place, a 5/21W stop and tail push in bulb, as specified on p246 of my handbook.

However, when getting Mrs V to operate the brake to test all was well, I asked her to switch side lights on as well, and was surprised to see separate side and brake lights, so why twin filament bulbs?

The handbook doesn't help, as p246 shows the rear of the car with stop and tail at the top and bottom of each housing, whereas p252 diag 4 shows side light at the top and brake at the bottom (this is what mine seems to be).

Would love to hear what set up other owners have, as I'm damned if I can see why twin filament bulbs are required for my set up, as the 5w part of the bulb seems surplus to requirement.

The Mk2 has the same setup Mikey ,in my handbook the rear lights are different for the German market ,not sure if that is why the 5v filament is there. I have linked mine to the top rear light so they both now work ,the rear lights do seem a bit feeble on both the cars I am currently using.

Toyota bulbs should last longer then 14 years they must have used some inferior sort on the Mk4 .

Thanks Rupert, nice to hear yours are the same, and I must admit to thinking I might do the same wiring link.

As to the bulb not lasting, I blame the wife.....she will keep using the brakes, instead of flashing full beam to move lesser mortals aside.

• Like 2

perhaps hes being doing too many local short runs causing overuse of the brake pedal resulting in premature bulb failure! - perhaps if he had raised the issue with Lexus GB they may have covered the cost of the bulb and fitting as a gesture of goodwill

Please don't tell me your brakes have also worn out in just 14 years :)

Afraid so, new front discs last year to cure a judder under braking, I must have a Friday afternoon car :lol:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links