Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Master Key

Is it possible to get a master key made for a lexus is200 as i only have a two button key which does not unlock the boot by remote i have to use a different key or the lever in the car i had a key made that started the engine but did not turn the alarm off.

U

Post a pic of your current key. If its not a master then the short answer is no you can't get a master.

You need a working master key to programme a new master key. Normally the 2 button keys are not masters but 'valet' keys. Some master keys are 2 buttons tho. Master key cases are normally black also and valet keys a grey colour.

To find out if that key is a master key for certain, put it in the ignition. If it is a master key then the security light on the dash will go out the instant the key is inserted into the ignition barrel. If its a valet key the security light will remain on for 2-3 seconds

My key is black but i think it is a valet key as the alarm goes off if you put in the lock without opening the central locking

they all do that.

Does the key lock the glovebox or fully lock/unlock the boot? Only a master will do that.

The light takes about 3secs to go out lexus said the glove box lock must have been changed as no key i have locks or unlocks it Thanks for all your help everyone

there are two parts to a master key. One is the physical key, which allows it to lock/unlock the glovebox and lock the boot to stop the internal release from working, the second part is the electronic module with a master allowing other keys to be programmed.

There is no guarantee that because you have one that you have the other. Somebody could have swapped them over. Chris' test of how fast the immobiliser is disabled is a quick test to check for a master electronics module.

Hi fella,

This is my post from 2011 when I had my IS300:

For all those that may have read recently I had some issues coded a 2nd key to
my new (to me) purchase last week.

The car was taken to Lexus guildford
for coding where I was told that my master key was actually a sub key and that
they couldnt code my spare key.

they did however give me the details of
an auto locksmith who said that he could copy the key so it would be a spare,
but neither would be the master key. The cost of this was £105 plus
vat.

I had a look around where I work and found one literally round the
corner from where I work in Gatwick and had a chat with him yesterday and booked
it in for this morning.

The result??

I now have 2 coded master
keys, with the spare also programmed for door unlocking as well.

The
cost??

£150 inc.vat.. The imobiliser was removed and reflashed so that it
recognised both keys as Master keys. He went through and showed me that the car
actually had 5 keys coded for it!!

Anyway, its all sorted, for a
relatively small amount- especially if you take into account people and dealers
saying you need new keys and an ECU- you dont. you just need a decent auto
locksmith who knows what they are doing...

For anyone who wants his
details- he's Gatwick based but is mobile (and I guess the price charged would
reflect that?)

Anyway:

Gatwick
Auto Locksmiths, Kelvin Way, Crawley, RH10 9SE
01293 536377
dave@autolocksmiths.co.uk

Thanx for that i will try a locksmith my local garage have a number but when lexus quoted silly money i just left it but i will try it out thanx again m8

there are two parts to a master key. One is the physical key, which allows it to lock/unlock the glovebox and lock the boot to stop the internal release from working, the second part is the electronic module with a master allowing other keys to be programmed.

The is no guarantee that because you have one that you have the other. Somebody could have swapped them over. Chris' test of how fast the immobiliser is disabled is a quick test to check for a master electronics module.

Yeah this is how Lexus determined weather I had a master key over the phone as when I bought the car I only had the 1 key

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links