Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Think I Will Be Getting My Garmin Out Of Storage!

I have been out and about a lot recently, trying to identify suitable/acceptable sites to put my newly acquired caravan.

Obviously I have been making a lot of use of the SatNav and I have to say that I am not overly impressed. On three occasions I found myself between 1.5 and 4 miles adrift of my intended destination. This is clearly down to the fact that the system does not allow for the full postcode to be input. I gather that this option is only available on later models. The short postcode is obviously more accurate when used to set a destination such as a private address or a city centre commercial business park or shopping centre but, when it comes to addresses way out in the sticks it don't not perform very well it don't!

When I set off tomorrow for some more 'site' seeing I will be making use of my Garmin unit to see how it fares against my 'in-car' unit.

I agree with your observation. You might be aware of this already but you can always chose your destination manually by zooming out of the map and selecting the relevant point of destination (if you know where it is) once you've input your destination details and the SatNav has given you a point of reference.

You're quite right Geoff, facelift models have full postcode entry.

Have you tried using coordinates? Worked a treat for me in France. Of course I'm assuming you can do coordinates on earlier model?

I agree with your observation. You might be aware of this already but you can always chose your destination manually by zooming out of the map and selecting the relevant point of destination (if you know where it is) once you've input your destination details and the SatNav has given you a point of reference.

Didn't know that, I will see if I can make that work for me. Many thanks.

You're quite right Geoff, facelift models have full postcode entry.

Have you tried using coordinates? Worked a treat for me in France. Of course I'm assuming you can do coordinates on earlier model?

Hiya normski, Not sure if your system is available on mine. I'll have to get the book of words out. Thank you.

I must say I have used my sat nav a lot and have no problem with the manual input. If anything inputting full postcode could often leave me way off my intended location. Long as you can input the road name etc. you are as close as you need to be.

I have only had one occasion which the sat nav struggled with and to be honest I had the same problem on the iphone5 so I put that down to experience.

I must say I have used my sat nav a lot and have no problem with the manual input. If anything inputting full postcode could often leave me way off my intended location. Long as you can input the road name etc. you are as close as you need to be.

I have only had one occasion which the sat nav struggled with and to be honest I had the same problem on the iphone5 so I put that down to experience.

Therein lies the problem I'm afraid. When you are out in the sticks, the real sticks that is, miles from anywhere, you don't have a road name to go on other than something as vague as the 'B3258'

I used my Garmin yesterday and that allows the inputting of the full postcode and it worked much better. The partial postcode system on the in-car SatNav really is rather vague. It is difficult to understand why they set it up in such a way. The full postcode option has been available on other systems for quite a long time.

What about phone numbers? Do you have the option to get navigation from inputting a phone number?

Have the feature on the facelift version....found it worked very well to take us to various destinations whilst in France. It needs to be the landline number...not a mobile or pay per minute line.

Geoff....meant to say....when you open the nav menu do you get an option to go to a second page of options? There will be a little box with an arrow and a 2 in it. On the second page is the destination by coordinates...think that was where the phone number option is too.

Geoff....meant to say....when you open the nav menu do you get an option to go to a second page of options? There will be a little box with an arrow and a 2 in it. On the second page is the destination by coordinates...think that was where the phone number option is too.

oi'll ave me a little peek at that today, sounds very useful, not too sure that it'll be on my 'oldie' though but you never know! Thank you.

Mmmmm....bit co fuddled by that one now.

In France I used the phone number option to nav to 4 chateaux in the Loire Valley to great effect.

Tried it to a campsite up the road (its been there for 20 years plus) to no avail. The nav auto filled in the last 3 digits and would not let me change them!! Me no understand this :(

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links