Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Does anyone know how many parts are interchangeable between a >1997 series 1 GS300 and a 2001ish Series 3(?) ?

My wife is learning to drive, and I'm thinking a cheap series 1 for her to learn in, then a better, newer series 3 for later.

But... I would like to keep the series 1 for spares... would it be worthwhile?

It would be a series II if 2001 is correct.

The GS was heavily reworked in 1998 with the series II. Not sure if some of the brake/hub parts are the same but pretty much everything else is different. All the trim and body panels, transmission, suspension, electronics, top half of the engine, exhaust, brake master cylinder etc are different.

Yeah, agree with Colin, some of the front suspension is the same, everything else is different. Also agree a 2001 is a mk2, albeit they had a minor face lift at that point.

Got it.

So if I get a '98 mk2 (with the circular headlights), rather than a (say) '97 with the square headlights - most of the parts will fit a 2001 facelift mk2 - apart from, I'm guessing, the improved master brake cylinder?

although most of the facelift changes were cosmetic there were a number of features added which would make interchanging some items difficult (for instance the addition of Brake Assist would mean the ABS ECU isn't interchangeable).

Here is a list of most of the changes:

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/tutorials/article/49-gs-series-ii-facelift-changes-2001-model/

ok...

Thanks.

So.

Long story leading to short question with short answer...

When I come to buy the newer (2001 Ser2 f/l) - would I be better off:

A.selling the old one ('98 ser2 pre f/l) as a runner and putting the money aside for if I need parts for the newer?

OR

B keeping the old one for spares? (assuming no issues with storage space)

OR

C. stripping the old one and keeping bits, and selling off the shell?

If C, which bits to keep, which bits to sell?

Obviously (to me, am I right?) I should strip out the brake master cylinder and sell on.

Headlight washers?

I would go for "A" personally. Actually, no, that's not entirely true, I would probably miss out the whole older one bit and just go for the 2001 car :driving:

• Like 1

I would go for "A" personally. Actually, no, that's not entirely true, I would probably miss out the whole older one bit and just go for the 2001 car :driving:

MrsEgg is going to be learning in it. It's gonna get *battered* :.(

lol.... I can see where you are coming from. Luckily, you are in Yorkshire, so thankfuly it won't be one of my cars she will be battering into :lol:

Mind you, I would find a different instructor, as they should be teaching "not to collide with anything", not "expect to collide with everything" :hehe:

lol.... I can see where you are coming from. Luckily, you are in Yorkshire, so thankfuly it won't be one of my cars she will be battering into :lol:

Mind you, I would find a different instructor, as they should be teaching "not to collide with anything", not "expect to collide with everything" :hehe:

that'd be me out of a job then.

<insert smiley with crash helmet>

I guess depending on how much abuse it gets option A might not be an option at all :) In that case I'd go with C.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links