Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Colin M

Just joined LOC, having bought a 1996 LS400 at the end of
last year, so am posting a few details.

Very pleased with the car so far. Having done quite a bit
of reading up on the marque before buying, I had high expectations of it and it
has not disappointed. I bought the car off eBay, went to look at it as it was
only about 40 miles away and had a drive in it before the auction ended. Very
impressed, put in the highest bid and won the auction. The car runs great and
had a recent LPG conversion before I bought it. I have posted a couple of
photos below.

post-47538-0-74902300-1372921979_thumb.j

post-47538-0-06441400-1372922070_thumb.j

The LS400 joins a couple of other older large saloon cars
that I have, a 1989 w126 Mercedes 500SEL and a 1955 Armstrong-Siddeley Sapphire
346 (which I bought as a major restoration project and which was back on the
road about the time my LS400 would have been sold as a new car to its first
owner).

I live in Walsall Wood WS9, which is between Walsall and
Lichfield, and would be interested to know if there are any other LS400 members
living locally.

Thanks.

Colin

Hello and welcome to the club Colin, nice example of the marque you have there.

There's a meet on the 24th August you might be interested in, see my sig.

Im positive the ls400 owners will be along shortly.

Ian.

Hi welcome. nice story there, a good read. glad your enjoying the car, you probably have the same running costs as my IS200 2.0L with the LPG kit, maybe even better?

See you around... :)

Hi Ian

Thanks for your message and for details about the meet at Gaydon - unfortunately I am on holiday then so will not be able to make it.

Cheers

Colin

Hi Pete

Thanks for your message. I see you are from Shropshire and that is where I bought the car from - near Whitchurch.

The guy who did the lpg conversion was from that area, Toby Mackay. I have not really kept a note of mpg but think I am probably getting about 18 or 19 to the gallon when running on lpg. At about 70p a litre, which is what it is locally, that will do nicely.

Cheers

Colin

I only know of two MK1 LS400 in my town (Shrewsbury) one in Harlscott area which looks the same as yours? and another on outskirts near Sutton with black painted wheels. Prob others hiding.

good to know LPG is still around 70p, its been around that prices for years now, although i know someone who can get it for around 50p wholesale ;)

Not heard of that person but im sure its ok, i know alot of ppl with yanks around here who have probably used em if you want me to find out

Hi Pete

50p is cheap for lpg, although I am guessing this is local to you so probably too far away for me to take advantage, But thanks for the offer to find out about it.

If it stays about the 70p mark, that will be fine for me. I don't do large mileages anyway.

Cheers

Colin

Hi J and Steve

Thanks for your comments.

I have t say the car is pretty good bearing in mind that it is nearly 17 years old.

Perhaps the only disappointing thing is the amount of rust underneath at the rear of the car, particularly on the rear subframe. The subframe is sound but looks to have lost most of its paint long ago and there is quite a lot of rust that needs removing. It is slow job getting all the loose rust off and quite a bit needs to be chipped off. I am applying some Waxoyl which should stop any further rusting. A messy job and a pity that Lexus did not galvanise the subframe.

In contrast, there is very little rust at the front or the car.

Cheers

Colin

Hi Colin,

Sorry to heat about the rust - thats a pity. Perhaps she might be worth the TLC (and expense!) if you leave her in the capable hands of a body shop?

Hi J

Yes, it is worth the TLC as I plan to keep the car long term.

I am working my way round the subframe and suspension parts and am getting on top of the job now. It will be worth the effort when it is done.

Cheers

Colin

Hi Colin,

Sorry to heat about the rust - thats a pity. Perhaps she might be worth the TLC (and expense!) if you leave her in the capable hands of a body shop?

Hi Pete

50p is cheap for lpg, although I am guessing this is local to you so probably too far away for me to take advantage, But thanks for the offer to find out about it.

If it stays about the 70p mark, that will be fine for me. I don't do large mileages anyway.

Cheers

Colin

Em no, it was a friend of a friend who had has a LPG storage facility, basically he buys it wholesale at that price without tax. Kinda like red diesel but not as dodgy :winky:

Yeah cant complain at 70p, was just saying :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links