Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Help - Its Like I Have No Battery Is220D

I got my first Lexus ever last Saturday and i loved it, right upon til it wouldn't start today! getting in my car to go home after work i unlocked the car via the key fob, got in it, foot down on the clutch, press the start button, the lights come on the dials, satnav fires up and then DEAD. It was like someone took away the Battery, no power to anything, no interior lights, no hazards and the keyfob wouldn't work.

I had to find alternative means to pick up my daughter but later i visited the car with a voltmeter and spanner, voltage shows as 12.2v, taking advice i disconnected the Battery for 30 mins but i put it back and no change. also note the Battery was new last week.

i have now left it at work locked using the key

i am guessing i need an autoelectrician but does anyone have any ideas or had the same?

sorry not the ideal first post!

sound like the Battery. a car can do strange things when the Battery is on its way out and voltage might not mean a healthy Battery. most garages will perform a free Battery health check but ide just buy a new one anyway. if its 5 - 10 years old chances are it needs a new one. dont you have break down cover?

the Battery was replaced last week as part of work identified by the dealer that was required as it wasn't holding charge. no breakdown cover yet as only just bought it but may just get breakdown cover now :-)

i suppose it could still be a faulty Battery despite it being new but if it is faulty and showing 12v surely i would see some power from it? interior light etc? its just like the Battery isn't in the car

In that case yeah might be something else. maybe someone else will know more for you. btw you've posted in wrong section, we all drive first gen IS's here, try posting in IS250/IS220d and you might be more knowledgeable ppl :)

Unless it's something simple, like a poor connection, I'd wonder whether the dealers diagnosis was correct.

I wouldn't wonder for long though, I'd be straight back to the dealer, as he should sort it out.

Earth points are critical on all cars more so on modern ones with ECUs and the like.

Although sometime inaccessible if you can see the earth points it is good practice to check these during routine servicing and if they are rusty or corroded it pays to remove the fixing bolt, clean up both the connection and contact to the body area and then refit securely.

I remember years ago I had a bad earth on a car and when it was started the earth current passed through the throttle cable effectively welding the inner cable and outer sheaf together!

Another possible cause is a loose Battery terminal after the Battery was replaced, I have seen Battery posts broken off by over tightening the clamp bolts so some fitters tend to undertighten to avoid the possibility.

Thank you for coming back with the cause and solution it's good to hear it was nothing serious and the car is now running correctly.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links