Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

New Member Needing Help

Joel Law

Hey im joel

Start off by saying i haven't bought the is200 se i would like yet as i'd like to know more about them before i go ahead and buy it.

Now i know you might say to go search the web for all the info but it is not going to be more reliable than fellow owners.

So the model is a 2002 se manual. with 92k

Already have plans such as a brake upgrade, wheels and tyres, suspension upgrade and general tidying and servicing.

What im looking to find out is what problems to look out for, any hints and tips on keeping the car in good condition apart from common sense.

Thanks in advance for the help i receive!!

Joel

Hello and welcome to the LOC.

With the quoted age and mileage that sounds a good start.

Service history is important with any car including Lexus and you need to be looking for preferably a full Lexus one which also details the cambelt change when it was due ( or there may be a sticker in the engine bay for this)

Wear and tear items are mainly rubber suspension components so listen for any knocks or bangs during a test drive.

Make sure everything fitted works by physically using them, windows,lights,correct operation of warning lights,romote locking.

Check to see if you have the master key ( usually 3 button grey casing) without this you cannot reprogramme another spare key.

Check the tyres for uneven wear as the IS is known for geometry alignment problems ( this is fixable however at the right places).

Apparenty the gear changes can be quite notchy on the IS.

That should keep you busy for a while :D

Cheers steve for the heads up.
I will be overhauling the suspension with completely new bushings etc , Tyre's wont be so much a problem as as soon as i confirm im buying it the new wheels and tyres will be ordered. I did read up on the arch liner causing wear so ill either remove it and fabricate a new one or look for another fix.
Other plans include a hks silent sound exhaust system.
Aftermarket aero kit ( but non of this silly OTT stuff just retaining the OEM look but deeper lines)
New brakes and discs.
Possibly free up the intake as i've heard it is quite restrictive but please don't take me saying that like im a hooligan.
Also going to say this will be my first car.. im 22 and soon to pass my test as ive finally got decent money for auto adventures!
Any other suggestion's that would make the car a better experience?

There is very little you can do regarding tuning the IS apart from either super or turbocharging it, there are no performance ECU upgrades available, having said that at 22 and a new driver the insurance for it in standard guise will probably cost the same as the car! :D

I'm not wanting to go crazy with power (yet...)
Just simple bolt-ons like oil cooler, arc intake box etc

This is where you may be surprised
a quote i did for a 1.0 fiesta 2010 plate would cost me £1600 a year with the car being 7-8k
For the IS 2.5k for the car and a quote for £1300 ! Fully comp no dodgey going on's !
I've always loved the IS/altezza and to be able to get one for a first car is like a dream !

Hi Joel.

just so your not disapointed doing anything to the engine other than a supercharger or turbo will result in 0 performance gains so in my eyes are pretty pointless. An induction kit and exhaust will make it sound better but won't improve performance at all.

Great car for your first car tho. Enjoy :driving:

Hey Chris
Don't worry i know little add-ons won't make much of a difference if any at all.
i'm not thinking like kids who think an exhaust will give 50bhp haha
basically this is my first car so no conversion will be on the cards yet but when the time comes i will be looking at superchargers.

Just want it to be mechanically sound, looking very clean and cool :)

Yeah i know it's going to be much better than driving about an old corsa etc some people think i'm silly for getting this for a first but it's my money and ill do what i want haha
Probably a bit of jealously coming from them aswell haha

Hi Joel, before doing any mods, even a simple wheel change, check with your insurance.

Failure to do so, or worse still not notifying them, could cost you dearly.

Well done though on having such a nice car as your first.

Hey Mikey
Yeah of course the £1300 is base standard cost and looking at a rise of about 3-£400 once ive done the wheels, suspension etc but don't worry im not running into a fire blind here haha

And for the record i don't own the car yet but looking to buy it soon.
The more i read and look at them the more in love im getting !
And it's good to be on a forum where you join and get welcomed and not slated for ideas and plans that noone likes !
So cheers for that !

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links