Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

I've recently fitted a set of 4300k aftermarket HID's, the light output is fantastic compared to the Osram Nightbreakers I had in previously.

I am wondering how other forum members go on with having aftermarket HID's and the car going for an MOT?

Mine goes into Lexus for an annual service and MOT soon and I was thinking would it be worth putting the Halogens back in for the MOT?

I can see if it fails Lexus will put standard Halogens in and charge me for this.

Cheers

Vinny

If it fails then Lexus should not do anything to your car without your prior authorisation. If it fails on the HIDs put the original Halogens in and it should then pass.

If it fails then Lexus should do anything to your car without your prior authorisation. If it fails on the HIDs put the original Halogens in and it should then pass.

Cheers, I may just chance it, I can see there is no additional fee for an MOT re-test on 'Lamps'. Fingers crossed.

If it fails then Lexus should do anything to your car without your prior authorisation. If it fails on the HIDs put the original Halogens in and it should then pass.

Cheers, I may just chance it, I can see there is no additional fee for an MOT re-test on 'Lamps'. Fingers crossed.

I'm not entirely sure that would apply in your case. If your vehicle was to fail it would more likely be for incorrect beam alignment which isn't just a quick recheck to see if a lamp is now working. Still if the alignment was out I would think the garage would correct it for you either FOC or for a small fee

Don't HID's require headlight washers to be fitted for MOT purposes?

Does in NI but wording of regs for England/Scotland/Wales is contentious. Washer systems and self levelling must work if fitted, so theoretically if not fitted then they can't be tested. Equally though if not fitted then the car theoretically may not be road legal. Bit of a minefield really which VOSA need to sort out.

It is a bit of a minefield reading through the vosa guidelines.

Speaking to a friend who has 6000k aftermarket HID's in a projector headlamp about this, his car has sailed through the last 2 MOT's

I will stick the H11's back in for the MOT to save any hassle on the day.

I can't believe those who have 6000k aftermarket HID's in reflector style headlamps get away with it. They are unbelievably blue and blind the oncoming traffic.

>> I can't believe those who have 6000k aftermarket HID's in reflector style headlamps get away with it. They are unbelievably blue and blind the oncoming traffic.<<

Totally agree with you there...they are bloody dangerous.

• Like 1

>> I can't believe those who have 6000k aftermarket HID's in reflector style headlamps get away with it. They are unbelievably blue and blind the oncoming traffic.<<

Totally agree with you there...they are bloody dangerous.

Me too. If people want to fit them they should change the complete headlamp unit.

Don't HID's require headlight washers to be fitted for MOT purposes?

A vehicle with HIDs requires both washers and a self-levelling system to be sold in the UK, and possibly to be fully road legal as an aftermarket change however the job of the MOT isn't to check for those things - it is to check basic road worthiness, so for headlamps they need to work and be correctly aligned.

If you were to put it through an import SVA test it would fail without washers.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links