Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Has any one had a similar problem to the one I describe.

I have just bought a GS 300 Sport 1996. It was just serviced at an authorised dealer which included plugs, cam belt etc.

I am convinced the engine is 'missing' intemittently (every10-15 secs) at speeds over 50mph. By missing, I mean there are very transient dips in power, almost like when a strong gust of wind pushes against a car at high speed.

Ultimately I will need to take the car to a garage. However, I would like to target their investigations rather than going for the expensive 'lets change evrything approach'.

The first GS300 I bought last year suffered from a misfire. It was worse when the engine was cold and damp but did do it twice when the engine was warm. If crusing along and the gearbox was in 5th, you could feel the car struggling and vibrating. If you downshifted to 4th, it was not so bad but if you put your foot down, the car would shudder as it accelerated. When stationery, the car would idle very roughly (so you could feel it) and if you carefully watched the rev counter, it would dip slightly now and again.

I ended up rejecting this car because Lexus Bristol were unable to rectify the fault (despite assuring me they had) on two separate occasions. The first time they looked at the car, they thought it was caused by water in some of the electrical connectors under the bonnet from where the car was steam cleaned prior to me purchasing it. The next time, they thought that it might be the spark plugs and all 6 were replaced. The third time, I left the car at Bristol and refused to have anything more to do with it and the dealer I bought it from (Lexus Wolverhampton) picked it up. Good job I did reject it cos when I was up at Wolverhampton (sorting out problems with the second GS they found for me), the technician said that it had just had new brake calipers and a new brake booster (apparently a £2000+ job) done on it before the next poor so and so bought it. If it's missing just after a major service, it could be a lot of things...

1-Loose, incorrectly gapped, wrong type or badly fitted plugs

2-Incorrectly refitted or damaged plug leads

3-Distributor cap or rotor arm wear

4-Incorrectly fitted cambelt (slipped a few notches)

5-Fuel pump/filter blockages

6-Ignition coil

74-Incorrect valve clearances

etc

etc

I'd get this looked at sooner rather than later because if the car really is misfiring, unburned fuel will be going into the catalytic convertor(s) and they don't really like that. Does the check engine light come on as this should detect most of the above problems, although having said that, it didn't detect the misfires on my first GS.

it could also be a leak/badly fitted fuel injector. make sure they are all seated properly and there s no o ring showing. that have been a known cause of rough running as Mat Clawely will recall from my late night Noz fitting extravaganza!

:zee:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links