Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Crunching In 2Nd Gear

Today, three times in one journey, it crunched going into 2nd gear (Sport, manual 6sp). I wasn't kicking it hard or trying to change fast, but three times it was like the cogs hit, and I had to declutch to try again, the first two times it went on. The third time it did it though, even with the clutch flat on the floor, it would not go into 2nd, until I lifted the clutch in neutral, then declutched again and then it popped into 2nd.

Never done it before, not sure if it means the clutch cable is on the way out, or the bite point has dropped (it was low before anyway) or something. Doesn't do it in any other gear....

Mine does that going into 6th sometimes Matt. Never really thought too much about it but it's exactly as you are describing. It is very very rare with me (I'd estimate once a month over 1500 or so miles driven) so I'm not too bothered at this stage but it is strange.

The cheapest before you start looking in expensive things ... look the adjustment ..

but also change the gearbox oil.

Worked both times when I was getting a bit crunchy 3rd gear on my Saab 93. And that was mainly at fast changes. regardless if the car was hot or cold.

After I changed the oil ... everything was perfect.

Same with my C5 ... although that is only if it was cold ... before it warms up.

Clutch is hydrulic so no adjustment:

Can be caused by sycro ring being damaged/worn.

I would though, check clutch operation first as second gear is the most suseptable to wear so any drag on the clutch would show from first to second. I find my box more difficult coming down the gears,seems to stick needs double clutch does'nt grate just stiff! These gearboxes are ok but I find that you have to nurse them through the gears deffinatley no quick shifting.

One other thought the duel mass flywheel can cause issues mines fine for weeks then decided to judder and becomes rough. Perhaps yours is draging? I kind of re-set mine by doing a few drop clutch starts no idea why but it seems to reset my clutch. probebly not the best idea but I get so annoyed with this juddering for no reason I sort of rag it and up to now it works.!!!

To be honest the clutch and cog box seem to be the achilles heel with this car and ruin what is a nice little motor.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links