Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Non Lexus Used Car Warranty

Straightaway let me say I have searched for previous posts but none seem to cover (pardon the pun) the answers I am looking for!

I have a 2007 400h SE which I bought from a main dealer, it came with the Lexus 5 year old approved warranty and it expires in 2 weeks time.

I intend to keep the Lexus one more year so do I buy another warranty? Forget the Lexus one, its £1000. Having looked around the CSMA one comes in at about £510, Quentin's mob is a huge £1000+ and Warranty Wise is about £560.

I can live with this as when something goes wrong (thankfully rarely) with a Lexus we are not talking cheap!.

The Warranty Wise seems very comprehensive covering just about everything. I am however totally ignorant of mechanical matters and in the case of a Hybrid just about kindergarden level. Therefore is there anything any of you engineers out there think I should make sure is covered as it's a Hybrid?

The Batteries (Hybrid ones not the standard one) seem to be no problem - I have searched the internet for any known problems and mercifully they don't appear!

I would appreciste any help as before I take out the policy I can call them and get something in writing if it's missing. Many thanks.

Tom, I had to call my dealer this morning to book my car in for MOT, so I took the opportunity to ask a couple of questions re your dilemna - no name mentionned of course.

What I was told was that the hybrid system is so reliable that Lexus is considering extending the warranty to making it a lifetime warranty. To date, nothing official has been communicated to dealers, but the unofficial expectation is that in the event of a problem with the hybrid system, Lexus UK would pick up the tab.

Incidentally, the person I was talking to stated that in the 11 years they have worked for Lexus, they have never come across or heard of a hybrid system failing.

Not sure whether this helps in any way...

Obviously, I do not know your car, how you treat and maintain it and how much mileage you cover, but the RX400h being such a reliable car you should consider what is likely to go wrong with your car over the next year (based on most common faults and failures), and the likely cost of repair (maybe going to an independent garage), bearing in mind that wear and tear related failures will not be covered by an extended warranty any way.

Personally - and I cannot emphasise this enough: this is my own personal view - I would be inclined to put the £1000 in a savings account and keep my fingers crossed. Consider this: a potential fix may cost you £1500. It will cost the warranty company £1500... £1000 of which will be what YOU gave THEM when you took the warranty out.

Of course, without this warranty, you will be liable for the whole £1500, but on the other hand you may not experience any problem... and still have £1000 + interest in the bank this time next year.

Note that my advice would be different if you were talking about a different brand.

(I have just re-read my comments above and I am concerned that they may sound a bit patronising - it is not my intention to be so)

Totally agree with the comments. In plain terms , you will never get another warranty cover that is as good as the proper Lexus Warranty. Either stump up the money for the Lexus one, avoid any other warranties like the plague, or stash your money away and hope nothing goes wrong. Better still, get a 12 + month interest free credit card, use their money and keep your own cash in your own account until D Day and pay off the balance before the interest free period expires. Decisions decisions !!!!

Thanks Guys, Good advice, it's not that I can't afford something going wrong just hate the idea of it! For the record Daniel, car is now 6 years old, FLSH (just had major service) and has done 57K. I do about 7/8K a year and it is looked after. I didn't think you were being patronising at all either, just pleased you and Bobby ook the time to reply!

Thanks again to both

• 2 weeks later...

Buy another 5 plus warranty from Lexus. I'm sure they are less than £600. Call the dealer as they are not advertised on the web. These are also available on interest free credit. Total

amount payable over 10 months.

I am not sure what the 5plus warranty you refer to actually is. The only one I have been offered by my local Lexus dealer for my 06 400h is the one shown at the link.

Does anyone know of a cheaper genuine Lexus warranty?

It is the Lexus care warranty on that link. As previously posted you will have to contact a dealer for prices.

Quite correct. I contacted my local dealer who has quoted £540 for the Lexuscare Listed Parts Warranty which has a claim limit of £2000. And yes, this can be paid for with 10 interest free payments by Direct Debit.

Seems pretty good value, though some may be wary of the claim limit which may not cover the cost of any serious repairs to the Hybrid components however unlikely a failure may be.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links