Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

No mate.

The serpentine belt is also known as an engine belt, accessory belt, older cars even a fan belt.

It's the belt that is right at the front of the engine, it drives the steering pump, alternator etc. Did mine a short time back, took less the 30 mins.

Cam belt is another story that i don't have any answers to.

Thanks for that.

The reason i ask is past couple of mornings on start up i hear a squeeking sound for about 5 mins, then after that i dont hear it at all for the rest of the day.i was told its the serpentine belt. The car is just about to hit 100,000 miles and i dont think its been changed.

If i buy the belt can anyone on here fit it on for me? Dealers want £126 all in. Im no good with mechanics. Im in west midlands but dont mind travelling

If i buy the belt can anyone on here fit it on for me? Dealers want £126 all in. Im no good with mechanics. Im in west midlands but dont mind travelling

This may be of help to you from our friends in The United States of a Miracle.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-second-generation/347295-diy-serpentine-belt-hope-this-helps.html

Good luck Mike

You could just buy the belt from eBay they're about £20 (some as cheap as £10) and then get a mechanic to fit it for 30 mins labour which at my local garage would cost £40. So belt fitted for £60. As you can see Lexus are charging you about £100 labour.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEXUS-LS400-LS430-UCF-ALTERNATOR-BELT-LS400-4-0I-V8-UCF20-94-98-OE-QUALIT-/300616420839?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item45fe228de7

It's a relatively simple task, even i managed it solo after looking at how to do it and a simple diagram.

I'm in Nottingham 2miles from J26 (near Ikea), i can help you with it, only issue is i'm on duty (City Hospital Nottm) from Sat thru to next Fri, if you want to meet me at my home in the evening or at work over this weekend i can help you with it. Let me know.

P.S. the cost will be my usual fee, next time you see me in a pub, get me a beer :whistling:

Thanks for that. I am totally rubbish at mechanics. I know what parts are and what they do, but replacing them is another thing. I cant do it. I would ask my brother as he is good with these things but just recently hes fallen ill, very ill. Hes got something wrong in his brain. But to look at him you wouldnt think that.

Come on you can do it, it's SO easy.

All you need to do is just pull on something to release the tension. Feed a belt, pull on something to slip it over and release.

Seriously it's just that easy.

It took me 15 seconds to remove the plastic cover, 10 seconds to remove the belt. 90 seconds to re feed the belt, check it over again and put tension back on, 15 seconds to run the engine and check. 15 seconds put plastic back together.

Quite literally a couple of minutes.

Come on you can do it, it's SO easy.

All you need to do is just pull on something to release the tension. Feed a belt, pull on something to slip it over and release.

Seriously it's just that easy.

It took me 15 seconds to remove the plastic cover, 10 seconds to remove the belt. 90 seconds to re feed the belt, check it over again and put tension back on, 15 seconds to run the engine and check. 15 seconds put plastic back together.

Quite literally a couple of minutes.

Easy if you are mechanical minded. My neighbour couldn't work out how to use a cable tie or the jack for his car.

But you really don't need to be mechanically minded to unscrew 2 screws. Push a bolt down and feed some cable around.

If you can do some sowing or knitting then this is just as easy.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links