Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Is220D Battery Choice?

Hi,

I have an 07 plate IS220d and just before Christmas the Battery died and had to be replaced. Since it has been replaced it has been a little sluggish to start, especially as the car is not used for long runs very often.

Last week the Battery 'died' and I had to get the AA out to take a look. First thing he did was check the power, it's a 700amp rated Battery and had high 500s in at at the time. This was insufficient power to start the engine at all. He boosted it and got it running, did the usual checks and declared that it wasn't draining power when idle, was a good Battery and the alternator works fine. We left it running for 10mins (614amp charge) and tried to start on its own which it did, albeit only just. He then tested the starter motor and found it was needing high 500s, just into 600amp current to start the motor.

I've contacted the company who sold and fitted the Battery - they say it is the only Battery on the system for the car and should be fine. Phoned round a few other large garages and they all recommended stronger batteries when I just asked for a Battery quote - Kwikfit 770amp, Halfords 830amp, local garage 730amp.

So here's the problem - the cars dead again. Do I get a new Battery with a higher rating, or do I get the starter motor looked at (AA guy reckoned it shouldn't need that much power and should be nearer 400 to start). I obviously don't want to do the wrong choice then pay for the other one too so any advice is very much gratefully received.

Thanks

Did mine about 12 months back. Got it from here

http://www.carbatteries-online.co.uk/carbattery249.html

Good service and keen price delivered. And they collected it and sent another the following day when they realised they had the terminals wrong way round!!!

You should have a heavy duty Battery on what is a large Diesel engine.

I went for the Varta 830Ah. Please check the Battery layout for your housing in the car. There is a G7 and a G8 the poles are switched the opposite way round. Think mine was a G7...but that's only a guess. Don't have the car or paperwork anymore. Saw the car at the weekend and Battery was solid.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links