Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Looking To Buy Ls460...common Problems 2007?

Hello group,

I've been looking at buying a quiet, refined car that is also reliable and unfortunately can only find massive cars such as the LS460 as an option; although that's not really a bad thing!

I've seen an LS460 with 30k miles for £17k at a non-Lexus dealer... Seems a bit too cheap to me, but I notice that it's the 2007 model. Perhaps they just wish rid of it, as it's clearly a trade-in.

2008 model seems to be quite a bit more expensive even with double the mileage. Googling brings up the 2007 model as partiuclarly problematic, is anybody here aware if this is true for the UK LS460 of this year?

I've been in an LS600h before so I'm familiar with test-driving a 'new' car, but I'm going to test-drive the above LS460 this weekend... given the year of the vehicle could you please indicate what I should really be looking out for? I'm happy to get underneath the car at the franchise dealer and have a look myself to look at bushings and whatever is required and have performed minor maintenance on cars before, although not on a luxury car.

I think that for the price the cars are a bargain, but my nightmare would be buying such a rare car then discovering it has numerous issues that are extortionate to fix. I can't see a definitive list of typical issues but 'engine issues' look to be extremely common according to certain warranty websites.

If you're interested in what I'll be using it for then it's mainly for motorway journeys of 150 miles each way a couple of times per week. I am sick of the interior noise and ride of my ford focus :shifty:

Thanks,

Harry.

Hi Harry,

First thing to look at is the alloys. How many spokes do they have? On a 460, five is almost certainly good, but more perhaps not so - depending on what you want in your car.

There are three grades of 460, the basic 460, the 460 SE and the 460 SE-L. The SE-L came with five spokes as standard. The 460 and SE had more. There is only one optional extra on the SE-L, which is the wooden/leather steering wheel, which is rather nice as it has more texture and feel to it, and is also heated!

If this is the car at Taggarts you're looking at, "A MASSIVE SPEC WITH EVERY CONCEIVABLE EXTRA", well, lets just say that its wheels have too many spokes!

: o )

I'm in my early thirties, so the alloys certainly don't bother me so much. I'm more concerned about the dealer bodging items to temporarily fix inherent issues with the car.

I'm going to look at two cars this weekend and that is indeed one of them ;-)

I'm just concerned that the 2007 models are significantly worse and 2008 to 2009 and onwards to the facelift variety have had different parts re-engineered in order to correct inherent issues.

Knowing my luck I'll have it 3 months and one day, warranty expired, and the engine will explode!

Personally, I wouldn't want a car of this complexity, with a fairly high value, unless it had a very good warranty.

If it goes wrong and needs five grand spending to put right (steering rack apparently costs £5k), then if the car is over £10k in value, you have no choice but to repair really.

Down at £1-2k level, we have the option to scrap it without losing megabucks, should a catastrophe occur.

Hi Harry, the car at Taggarts is the SE variant.

This will not have the radar cruise control or the pre crash safety system, which incorporates the Lane Keep Assist. When new, the price difference was approx £4000. At £17k for a SE, this would equate to a similar SEL at about £20k which is a bit overpriced.

Concerns about ''inherent issues'' apply to any car. I would have thought that Lexus build quality and reliability are second to none.

As long as the one you buy has a good history, and performs well on a test drive, go for it.

I'm probably going to regret saying this,

In the 3 years I've had my 07 460 SEL, I've had no major problems (touching wood as I type).

Graham.

Hi MikeyV,

currently money is no object if you consider I would otherwise be paying £22k to £25k for a one year old BMW 320d luxury with similar mileage, which is an idea I am still toying with. The point you make is certainly valid - the wrong car could be a money pit!

Graham: I actually think the silver colour (sic) is a bit dull and I suppose the toys on the SE-L would be more appreciated. I've noticed that the SE-L comes with 19" alloys and as my prime concern is ride-comfort I suspect that the 18" on a standard SE would give a better ride, less road noise and all those things I hate.

I would definitely say that a dark colour ensures the car feels 'newer' from the outside, the silver is my main complaint of this particular car I mentioned.

Hi if comfort & reliability are your first concerns go for the latest lowest mileage ls 400 you can find. its probably the best car ever built. I have just sold mine with 192 k on it & it still drove virtually as brand new. I drove the company ford focus in direct comparison it felt like I had just been up the road in an upturned silver cross pram. I now have a 2004 ls 430, I am convinced the mark4 400 is a better car . A Lexus mechanic has also told me the last 400 is the best car lexus has ever built.

Hi Harry,

Sorry I wasn't more explicit. What I was trying to say was this car didn't have the full spec, so wasn't worth as much as the much more common SE-Ls.

For the basic model:

Optional Upholstery Upgrade package*

Optional Advanced Safety package*

Optional 19” 5-spoke alloy wheels

(245/45R19 tyres)

Optional IPA (Intelligent Park Assist)

Optional Power boot closer

Optional electric sunroof

Optional Mark Levinson

® audio package

(19 speakers; DVD; 5.1 surround sound)

Optional Rear Seat Entertainment **

(9” roof-mounted VGA screen with

remote control)

Optional PCS (Pre-Crash Safety)/

ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control

For the SE:

Rear Seat Upgrade package

Electric sunroof

Power boot closer

Mark Levinson

® audio package

(19 speakers; DVD; 5.1 surround sound)

Rear Seat Entertainment

Optional Upholstery Upgrade package

Optional Advanced Safety package

Optional 19” 5-spoke alloy wheels

(245/45R19 tyres)

Optional IPA (Intelligent Park Assist)

Optional PCS (Pre-Crash Safety)/

ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control)

Optional heated wood trim steering wheel

for the SE-L

As LS 460 SE, plus:

Upholstery Upgrade package

Advanced Safety package

19” 5-spoke alloy wheels

(245/45R19 tyres)

IPA (Intelligent Park Assist)

Card Key

Optional heated wood trim steering wheel

those packs:

Advanced Safety package

(must be ordered with electric sunroof

and Rear Seat Upgrade package)

PCS (Pre-Crash Safety) with

ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control)

Advanced Obstacle Detection System

(radar and stereo camera)

Rear PCS (Pre-Crash Safety) including

Intelligent Front Head Restraints

Driver Monitoring System

Emergency Steering Assist

LKA (Lane-Keeping Assist)

Lane Departure Warning System

Upholstery Upgrade package

(must be ordered with electric sunroof

and Rear Seat Upgrade package)

Semi-aniline leather and trim details

Alcantra

® roof headlining and pillar finishing

Rear Seat Upgrade package

Cool box

Power rear seat slide/recline

Power rear head restraints with memory

function

Air-conditioned rear seats

4-zone air-conditioning with rear seat

separate left/right climate control and

roof-mounted diffusers

Rear audio controls

Electric sunshade for rear doors

Rear side airbags

Wood Console package

I hope this helps.

: o )

oh, and to finally answer your question, there's nothing wrong with 2007 cars. Many cars sold in 2008 and 2009 had been built in 2007 - it was the really bad time for car manufacturers, when everyone thought the world was going to become austere and end.

If you're worried, get one from a lexus dealer. The car will come with a year's full Lexus style warranty.

save your self a good few grand about 12K and buy an older LS430, TBH only a few people would know the difference, the drive of the 430 is excellent and i would say better than the 460 slap a private plate on and there you go, you could go through 3 or 4 of these for 17K.

If your still unsure about a LS which i would highly recommend, check out the VW Pheaton, always had a soft spot for those cars

a Bentley with a VW badge. Great value for money at the moment. Go for the W12 engine and LPG conversion. Brilliant car. Mike

Hi Harry

I bought a 56 plate ls460 SE L with 35K on it a year ago. I paid £19k at a lexus dealer and it came with a lexus 12 month warranty. I haven't claimed on the warranty as nothing has gone wrong. I used to have a 430 which had 90K on it when I bought it. It cost me about £700 a year in repairs over the 5 years I had it. Various sensors at £250 a throw, part of the exhaust, new radiator were the main things, but not surprising given the age and mileage. I'm hoping the 460 will cost less because of the lower mileage. I think the 460 is better looking than the 430 and has a lot more features. However, I get the impression, it is not quite as well made as the 430.Mine has a problem with wind noise which is not uncommon and for which there is a well documented diy fix. There is also a rattle that i believe is the front speaker housings catching on the windscreen. I've seen a fix for this as well, but not tried it. Lexus Bolton seemed to be aware of this problem from other cars. Early models were recalled for valvespring replacement and I have a feeling that the electric steering was prone to failure on early cars, but these problems are likely to have been sorted under warranty. I'm currently wrestling with whether or not to extend the warranty (£995) so I appreciate your dilemma over purchase. If you buy I'd go for the SE L for all the extra gadgets, theres not another car that comes close.

Mike

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links