Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Finally Took The Plunge Bought A 2004 430 So My Trusty 400 Has To Go

I am really not sure if I've done the right thing. a 2004 430 came up at a bargain price, So I've taken the leap.

Its probably just nerves from going from a car that I trust & know so well after so many years of ownership ( a record for me near on 6 years) to a car Im going to have to get to trust.

Compairing both side by side the 430 has more toys but really doesn't feel as well put together.

The suspension doesn't soak up the bumps at lower speeds as well & there seems to be a bit more road noise. Its still quiet but not quite to the same standard as the 400.

Its probably just me as the leap getting in & driving the 400 back from Southport when I bought it( I was ecstatic ) wasn't the same feeling driving the 430 for the first run.

Anyway Ive put it up for sale here for £2000.(the cost of the BRC lpg conversion) In the hope it will go to someone who's going to appreciate what a great car these 400s are.

I will post some pics of the 430 when I take some its Flint mica with cream leather.post-16507-0-57152800-1358282722.jpg My 400

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mark, I'm sure you've done the right thing. Changing any car after a long period of ownership always makes us pick up the 'bad' points of our new possession. After a few weeks of your new car you'll realise what a brilliant car the 430 is. Not wanting to offend any 400 owners, but when you look back at the 400 you'll think that it's pretty basic now. Exactly the same will happen when you buy your 460 and then your 600. Good luck with your new 'baby' and good luck with the sale.

Edit. road noise is the bigger wheels / tyres. You'll get used to it.

Yes, good luck with it Mark, and let us know how you get on. Meanwhile it's interesting to hear your first impressions. And I hope your 400 goes to a good home.

I am hoping its just a case of it not being as great a leap getting into the 430 as getting out of any normal car into a 400

Good luck Mark. You echo the comments on the 430 that everyone who makes the upgrade has made but I am sure you will soon get used to it and have loads of fun with all the extra toys. Mike

Congratulations on your new purchase. I'm sure your nervousness will settle down as you get used to the 430. I've never been in one so can't comment on it in comparison to the 400 (which I'm enjoying at the moment). Good luck with the sale.

Hope you manage to move it on soon cos looking at those yellow lines you don't have room for two! I'm assuming the one parked behind is the new car? If so, nice colour.

If you get a ticket on those yellow lines contest contest contest as they are broken lines which mean they are not legal and therefore any tickets issued are useless. When they repair the road or dig it up the yellow lines have to be reinstated so the the lines do not have any gaps. Mike

I am really not sure if I've done the right thing. a 2004 430 came up at a bargain price, So I've taken the leap.

Its probably just nerves from going from a car that I trust & know so well after so many years of ownership ( a record for me near on 6 years) to a car Im going to have to get to trust.

Compairing both side by side the 430 has more toys but really doesn't feel as well put together.

The suspension doesn't soak up the bumps at lower speeds as well & there seems to be a bit more road noise. Its still quiet but not quite to the same standard as the 400.

Its probably just me as the leap getting in & driving the 400 back from Southport when I bought it( I was ecstatic ) wasn't the same feeling driving the 430 for the first run.

Anyway Ive put it up for sale here for £2000.(the cost of the BRC lpg conversion) In the hope it will go to someone who's going to

appreciate what a great car these 400s are.

I will post some pics of the 430 when I take some its Flint mica with cream leather.post-16507-0-57152800-1358282722.jpg My 400

Hi mark

You are in the same boat i was not long ago - i also thought about going back to the LS400 (moer so when it was parked in the back) but the LS430 has grown on me and as someone mentioned when you do sit back in the 400 after a while you do feel the difference in equipment and refinement massively. I have got rid of the bridgstones and put some continentals on and that i has improved the ride marginally in terms of smoothness over uneven road surfaces. Partly why you hear more road noise is because you don't hear the engine in the 430

You will get used to it - im sure

all the best with this one and moving the 400 on

p.s the 400 sold on sunday - and i got full asking price so if you dont get interest immediatley stick to your guns

Hope you manage to move it on soon cos looking at those yellow lines you don't have room for two! I'm assuming the one parked behind is the new car? If so, nice colour.

I like the flint mica (or gunmetal) the interior is cream (shmbo doesn't like the cream but likes the outside) she likes the grey in the 400, I have just realised I think the boot interior is grey (mmm I wonder after all she is only little :devil: )

Anyway Ive put it up for sale here for £2000.(the cost of the BRC lpg conversion) In the hope it will go to someone who's going to

appreciate what a great car these 400s are.

Hi mark

You are in the same boat i was not long ago - i also thought about going back to the LS400 (moer so when it was parked in the back) but the LS430 has grown on me and as someone mentioned when you do sit back in the 400 after a while you do feel the difference in equipment and refinement massively. I have got rid of the bridgstones and put some continentals on and that i has improved the ride marginally in terms of smoothness over uneven road surfaces. Partly why you hear more road noise is because you don't hear the engine in the 430

You will get used to it - im sure

all the best with this one and moving the 400 on

p.s the 400 sold on sunday - and i got full asking price so if you dont get interest immediatley stick to your guns

Well done on selling the 400 & it was nice to meet you by the way.

I like the flint mica (or gunmetal) the interior is cream (shmbo doesn't like the cream but likes the outside) she likes the grey in the 400, I have just realised I think the boot interior is grey (mmm I wonder after all she is only little :devil: )

Steady now!

I think cars in those kind of colours always look good, they don't seem to age, and if I had a choice I would choose the contrast of a dark exterior with light upholstery. Does the seating position feel similar? We're looking forward to the photos. After all, I guess its what all LS400 owners will be looking for eventually.

The seating feels almost identical & all the controls feel familiar, The Dash is a lot higher another gripe from the better half ( says it makes her feel like a small child peering over it) I am getting it changed from disabled tax to plg tomorrow so will start using it on a daily basis. I should get some pics at the weekend ( snow permitting) it is under a nice warm cover in the drive at the moment looking at the garage it wont fit into.

The seating feels almost identical & all the controls feel familiar, The Dash is a lot higher another gripe from the better half ( says it makes her feel like a small child peering over it) I am getting it changed from disabled tax to plg tomorrow so will start using it on a daily basis. I should get some pics at the weekend ( snow permitting) it is under a nice warm cover in the drive at the moment looking at the garage it wont fit into.

Same with my garage, I could probably just get the car in but I'd have to sit there all night as I wouldn't be able to open the doors!

And I'm with you on the wife business, mine is 5'2" and even when she does get her driving position right (which takes about an hour) she still has to peer over the dash. Does yours have the massage seats? (the car that is, not the wife) I wasn't sure if that's standard.

I don't think I've ever seen a 430 advertised that DIDN'T have the Premium Pack. Are there any 'standard' models out there? I'd be more inclined towards one of those on the grounds of 'less to go wrong'.

I don't think I've ever seen a 430 advertised that DIDN'T have the Premium Pack. Are there any 'standard' models out there? I'd be more inclined towards one of those on the grounds of 'less to go wrong'.

Pre facelift you could get standard and premium pack models.

Facelift have the premium pack by default. It was around the time Mercedes had called up the S class if I remember correctly, so they tried to get the business by making a bigger standard list.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links