Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Broken Keyfob

I have only one key which is a valet key, taking it out of the ignition today and the plastic casing has cracked. Can I just buy a replacement from eBay and put the blade and guts into the new casing?

Can anyone tell me if its a simple.thing or does it require some magical expensive tooling.

Thanks

Is there any reason you can't just swap the existing blade instead of getting a new one?

Cheers for the answers people

Blade is moulded into one half of the casing, so you'd destroy the new keys casing trying to remove it. That was my first thought when I went to replace one of my keys, but even though it wasn't a problem breaking it off the old casing, there's no way to remove the uncut blade from the new key and fix in the old blade.

But it's really not a problem, as any half decent shoe repair/key cutters can do it (Timpsons can be a bit funny from what I've read/experienced, but my local place did it) and it's not expensive (I paid £7, or £6.50, something like that) The only problem I had was because I opted for a flip key, it makes it harder to line up on the jig, so initially it didn't work. 2 mins with a metal file at home and it's been working fine for several months

Thanks for the replies people...

Just called my local Timpsons, the fella said he can cut it but cant guarantee it because he wouldn't be supplying the blade.

If it didn't work id have to get a new blade.....

You can buy new keys with new transponders and buttons, but it gets very expensive, plus you'd need a fully working key in order to program the new one, or take the car to Lexus and pay a hell of a lot of money for them to do it.

Either way it isn't needed if you still have a working button and transponder pack - you just swap it from the old key to the new key

My fob circuit board is missing connections and cannot have buttons soldered to and been quoted £160 at lexus for new master key and fob coded to car. Any cheaper option as only got master key and resorting to locking with key and was frozen with ice today

I'm confused - what do you actually have? One complete, working master key - ie buttons and transponder working fine, and one non working key?

If so, then you only need a new transponder, and with a fully working master key you *should* be able to reprogram a button pack to work with your car (not sure about the transponder though). If so, then buy one like this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEXUS-3-BUTTON-REMOTE-ALARM-KEY-FOB-IS200-GS300-LS400-RX300-/271097144600?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f1ea62518 - then take the button pack out and put it in the key with the non working buttons, and do the reprogramming procedure to code it to your ECU.

Or buy one like this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEXUS-Transponder-3-button-Key-Remote-DENSO-1512V-for-IS-200-GS-RX-/251176403754?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Car+Make%3ALexus&hash=item3a7b47c32a - which will also need programming to your ECU, and you'll need the blade cutting too.

If you only have one key, the master key, and that's the one with the busted button pack, then you're a bit stuck and looking at that hefty price from Lexus I'm afraid.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links