Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

So What Would You Sell Your Lexus For?

matt-c

sure does depend on what one is comparing and i was comparing equal cubic capacity and equal power output which makes them both apples but the way they go about delivering that power could be classified as apples and oranges.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sure does depend on what one is comparing and i was comparing equal cubic capacity and equal power output which makes them both apples but the way they go about delivering that power could be classified as apples and oranges.

No, you were specifically comparing a two litre turbo diesel against a two litre turbo petrol (320d against a modified is200), and said they are both the same.

Now you recant and say they are different.

I'm beginning to think you must be on the wind up, as no one could be serious while contradicting themselves so...

boost the IS200 lighty to add another 34bhp to the existing 153 and you have apples. the power delivery, torque figures and gearing can be classified as apples and oranges but they will both yield the same result.

let me make it easier for you. to get to london you could either get on the M25 or the M1 there will be a time in your journey when on the M1 whereby you limited to slow driving due to road works then speed picks up. M25 journey will be a breeze from start but will slow down during the last 10 miles. so you will get to London either way but can achive it in two different ways.

Ok, you're clearly still missing the point....

2L Turbo Diesel BMW engine - standard

2L Turbo Petrol IS200 engine - MODIFIED

The above cannot compare - you cannot do a like for like comparison between a stock engine and a modified engine (especially a hardware modified engine)

2L Turbo Diesel BMW engine - standard

2L N/A Petrol IS200 engine - standard

The above cannot compare - you cannot do a like for like comparison between a forced induction engine and a naturally aspirated engine.

Likewise, a diesel engine, turbo or N/A, is different to a petrol engine (turbo or N/A);

Me : "A turbo diesel engine is completely different from a turbo petrol engine"

You : "Not it's not, it's the same"

You later : "A diesel engine is different from a petrol engine"

Hmm.......

Otherwise lets compare a Supra to a Micra - I mean they both have 4 wheels, so why can't we compare them directly? Or lets compare a Ford Transit and a Yamaha R6 - they are both RWD, so why can't we compare them directly?

I dont think you read my previous post! and i quote "sure does depend on what one is comparing and i was comparing equal cubic capacity and equal power output"

power is power regardless of the aspiration or fueling so a:

2.0L 187bhp Turbo diesel is equal to a naturally aspirated 2.0L 187bhp and both are also equal to a Turbo charged petrol 2.0L making 187 bhp. why do i say this?? Regardless of thier differing torque figures based on thier aspiration and fueling design be it kicking in at low down rpm, or at mid rpm, or at high rpm all three engines will be making enough Torque to yeild 187bhp at the crank.

but who ever makes it high up the rpm range tends to gain an advantage hence car manufactures lean thier sports cars towards petrol powered cars due to thier revving nature and light weight engine construction.

Hey matt...if having less torque was a disadvantage then this almighty 3.2 litre E46 M3 with 365NM of torque should have walked all over this 2 litre 208NM Honda S2000 round this track..even if this Honda was tuned it wont be much as I cant hear a turbo or Supercharger whistling under that bonnet.

Having gone through three Honda Accords from 1996 up to 2003 model year before buying an IS250, the only thing I fancy on the road now is either a BMW M5 or a 2007 onwards 335i. Problem is; I can't stand beemer drivers. Most of the ones in London drive like arrogant idiots.

s2000 weighs in 250kg lighter

come on Mikey you know it was down to Japanese engineering and not the 250kg lesser weight! to show how good the M3 is on paper it has 1.2 litre more, has 2 more cylinders and makes over 330 bhp even if it weighs 1495kg thats still 226bhp per ton advantage compared to S2000's 185bhp per ton weight.

BMW's are nice cars to own and drive so enjoy it :phone: ...

Jesus wept... You really cannot be so naive, or blinkered, to think that because the engine is "Japanese engineering" then that's why the car is faster?

This is why I don't try to have sensible conversations with you anymore, because you can't type sensible sentences or statements....

Enough now, thanks for completely derailing my thread btw......

tell me matt what else will make this naturally aspirated 2.0L so fast round a track if its not down to Japanese engineering and handling dynamics?? the piston speed alone in that engine is similar to a formula one engine and was designed to run on the limit without blowing!

and your thread has not been derailed by me nor anyone..we all just having a discussion which has taken that turn!!

Is the topic of the discussion about what car you'd be tempted to sell your Lexus for? No, it's not. It's a barrage of numbers, figures, specs and stats, all of which are not only irrelevant to this thread, but more or less irrelevant in real life too.

As I said, enough already......

Doesn't matter what car you use for everyday real life driving; that has nothing to do with your barrage of numbers, figures, specs and stats - all of which are irrelevant.

You've proved so far 1) you don't know a lot about cars or engines, 2) you are obsessed by pointless specs and stats, and 3) you seem intent on "having the last word", which when your last words are pointless and irrelevant, really don't account for much.

For the third time - enough now please...

1. Yes you 100% correct i dont know anything about cars.

2. checking pointless specs and stats is not an obsession but helps to tell me roughly what a car will be like in real life. oh and if specs and stats were irrelevant car manufactures wont quote them in thier owners manuals.

3. why should i bottle up my point of view if i dont agree with ones views. chill out matt and not take things too seriously we all here as a 'Lexus family' to help each other when in need, share ideas, debate have a laugh, attend meets etc so just enjoy the forum and just take ones views or comments with a pinch of salt.

1 - then everything you have said is moot

2 - manufacturers quote specs to impress people that rely on specs and figures, or those that are impressed by them. Doesn't mean they actually mean much. Take computers; PC's love to quote how much this that and the other they have, how fast the processor etc it. Yet a Mac, with "half the performance" on paper, out performs them every day.

3 - No one is saying you should bottle up a point of view. However, most of what you are saying is pointless and irrelevant, and has nothing to do with a "point of view" - it's just wanting to have the last say, regardless of 1) knowing what you are saying and 2) actually having anything to say

Thank you for your concern, but I'm perfectly chilled out, and definitely not taking anything you say seriously, in the slightest. But if you want me to take your view or comments with a pinch of salt, then there's really no point you posting them in the first place, except to try and be on the windup and/or get a reaction.

so for the 4th time, enough please.

Good afternoon everyone lol

Noby how can a s2k engine be like a formular 1 engine ?

1. it dont have 10 tiny cylinders

2. it dont rev to 17k

the only comparison i can make with those 2 engines are they are engines nowhere near anything alike

never said the engine was like for like to an F1 engine; was comparing the speed at which the psitons travel under heavy load. I think Honda said it was somewhere around 55 - 60mph which are close if not similar to f1 engines; come on I know its not an f1 engine but was designed and enginnered by Honda's racing Team. think about this apart from the Honda Type R's how many production engines can kiss 9000rpm without blowing up except the few LFA's, ferraris and lambo's which cost £300,000 and above.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links