Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Unipart Air Filter

coolspot

Demon Tweeks have K&N filters on special offer in their eBay store at the moment - http://www.ebay.co.u...#ht_2068wt_1271

for £30 i would go with the K&N for the fact that it will last a good 40-50,000 miles before it needs cleaning compared to OEM which will need changing after 20,000miles so K&N works out cheaper in the long run and would help the car breath better making it a bit more responsive, bhp gain might be maybe 2-5 bhp whilst improving mpg. was going to drop one in my Air box but went with Apexi high flow panel filter instead as its a Jap brand and thier filters wont need cleaning but will last for 25,000 miles before replacement.

just make sure they dont get over oiled though as it might coat your Mass air flow sensor leading to issues thats if the IS200 does have a MAF sensor though hence i went for the dry type Apexi filter instaed they are made from cotton just like K&N but dont need cleaning or oiling. i will just throw away and buy a new one after 25-30,000 miles.

You won't gain 2-5bhp from a panel filter

in the case of IS200 maybe not as it does not have a MAF sensor but might make it more responsive and maybe improve mpg. but cars with MAF sensors which have a bigger tuned stock air box to suck in more air and good exhaust system could gain as much as 5+ bhp and torque when a panel filter is installed.

Its simple... if an engine is capable of sucking in more air and exhaust it quickly and ECU specification is able to advance ignition timing with a higher compression ratio, it will make a bit more power and torque based on MAF sensor telling the ECU there is more Air coming through so chuck in more fuel into the combustion chamber and make more power please. engine condition and weather conditions will be a factor aswell in the case of naturally aspirated engines though.

I understand tuning cars - I've had a variety over the years and modified most of them. However a panel filter, with no other mods, is not going to give you 2-5bhp, beit an IS or other car. You *might* get closer to that mark with a cold air intake, which is a vastly less restricted air flow than a panel filter in an OEM air box, but even then, if you can't expel the gases quicker than standard, the amount of air put into the engine cannot increase that much - the engine can only take so much volume (for example, 1998cc), so if the back pressure, or bottle neck, is there (such as the exhaust, or cat in the exhaust) the engine cannot flow that new amount of air into, and out, of the engine any faster. It's why we gas-flow heads, and why we fit larger air filters, with less restrictive, larger diameter, intakes that suck in cold air rather than hot ambient air, and why we de-cat, and fit larger, less restrictive (larger diameter, and less "twisty") exhaust systems, and why we fit larger throttle bodies to reduce the bottle neck at every available point.

The engine cannot hold anymore air without increasing capacity, but feeding it colder air (which is more dense and thus more oxygen rich) air, and flowing it in and out of an engine faster, means more fuel - and as we all know; more air + more fuel = bigger bang and more horsepower. It's why turbo and superchargers works so well - you don't increase the total volume of air in an engine, but the air it's recieving is compressed, so it has more "air" per volume entering the engine. It's also forced in, speeding up the whole in and out process.

However a panel filter, with no other mods, is not going to give you 2-5bhp, beit an IS or other car.

Really??

this is a test of three different high flow panel filters against the stock OEM .

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13245

ok based on the results, one wont feel the difference on the road but its still a gain all the same!! even if no bhp is gained from fitting a high flow panel filter throttle response might be sharper and more responsive depending on ones engines charateristics. and my IS3 has definately become more responsive.. ok not sure if this was down to me cleaning my MAF sensor and reseting my ECU or was down to fitting the Apexi panel filter.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links