Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Dam Butcher's

Took my new key to be cut today, all good to start, tried new key and it wouldn't fit in ignition all the way so he tried again and again and again and again and again and now there is hardly anything left of my key and in the mean time he broke the Loop bit on old key so I can't put it on keyring.

I recently had similar with a key I bought off eBay (flip key style) that I got cut by a local place, after Timpsons said they couldn't do and a mobile car key cutter let me down (read; didn't call me back and turned phone off). He cut it, I took it out to the car and tried the door, boot and glove box locks; all fine. Tried the ignition and it was a little jiggly to get it in, and it flat refused to turn even a little. Took it back in, he ran it through again, same story. Ran it a third time, still no joy. Decided to give up and went home.

Week later I decided to try taking a file to it - took a little off the end (and I mean a little, cos it's just a hand file) and used the round back of the file on the groves on the face of the key blade (both sides) and amazingly it slid in and turned. Still a little jiggly, so a few more run overs with the file, on the end and the blade faces, and now it works just fine. Been using it the last couple weeks and it's been spot on

I think it all comes down to the skill of the key cutter and how well the cutting machine performs, 1st spare took 2 attempts and the 2nd spare worked 1st time on mine

I hope your guy doesn't do wood carving with a chain saw, he'd start with a tree and end up with a clothes peg! Personally I would have insisted he replace the botched one with another blank free of charge then take it elsewhere for cutting.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links