Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

A Mystery- Can Someone Help?

Hiya

This time last year I bought an 06 is220d with 36k on the clock. It came with a full and very comprehensive service history from Lexus Newcastle, and was originally bough from there. 1 owner before me. I bought it from stratstone.

Since day one it's had what my husband describes as turbo lag, so when I recently took it in for it's service, I asked them to look into it. The engineer also picked up on the lag and said that the dpf needed cleaning. They also picked up on an oil leak. I duly took it back in the following week to get these items seen to, along with some other minor things (brake calliper needed replacing under warranty and the handbrake cable needed adjusting.) all this set me back over £600.

I got the car back and this is where the real problems started. It could be a complete coincidence, but I would appriciate your thoughts as I have no clue! When I first drove the car I could tell no discernible difference in the turbo-lag, but wondered whether this might just be because I'd also had the tyres changed. Since then the turbo lag has got worse, and more worryingly the car has started to 'sputter' at low revs. Even doing 70in 5th gear I sometimes feel the stutter and felt it when I was doing 30 in 2nd gear today. It almost feels as though the car may cut out if I don't change the gear down.

The car, generally speaking, does not have any poke. I had to pull away in first on a bit of a hill the other day and I didn't think I would make it! Sixth gear is hopeless until you hit 80-85mph. Also, after the PDF was cleaned, I would have thought I would have seen an improvement in my mpg, but it's actaully getting worse! I used to get about 35 and now I'm lucky to get 33.

Does anyone have any idea what's wrong with my car?!? After having spent 600 squid on it, I was hoping the car would come back better not worse!

I'm taking it back to Lexus anyway, as when I got the car back, the brakes were really spongy and are squeaking like mad - they werena't before they changed the tyre and replaced the calliper.

Sorry long post- thanks in advance!!

Take a look at the inside of the oil filler cap on top of the engine. Is there any mayonnaise like oily substance to be seen...basically a white coloured oily residue?

Take a good look at the radiator expansion bottle/tank. The contents should look like pinky coloured water. Any water droplets in there? Can you smell exhaust fumes from the contents?

I hope I am wrong, but this may well be a Head Gasket issue. You are describing events very similar to my own.

I think a problem with the MAF sensor (Mass Air Flow sensor) can also give some of these similar characteristics.

You could have high carbon build up in your engine because of the low mileage. It wouldn't hurt to get a can of BG244 (diesel version) and pour it into your tank before filling your car up with diesel. Drive around as normal and see if it makes a difference. It could be a while before you notice any change. If this works I strongly recommend you go WOT on your car at least once a week to keep the engine from clogging.

Hi Esme,

Put some premium fuel in the car and drive it hard and after a thousand miles or so you'll notice a significant difference. It worked for me. I know how it sounds, but I'm dead serious. The turbo "gets lazy" if the car is driven gently all the time. The bearings in it put in more resistance and it's not turning as freely as it should and the lag gets worse. It has to do with the oil pressure and the lubrication, but it's not so important right now. Also, have the EGR cleaned. That's a simple procedure that can be done in 15 minutes.

When I first bought the car it felt like it was losing power if I try to accelerate below 2000 rpm. This meant 60 km/h (about 37 mph) in second because it wouldn't pull in third gear. Cleaned EGR, started using only premium fuel, changed oil twice in 5000 km and used my right foot more than twice :D and the car is like a dream now. :) Also, have the car (independently if possible) checked for compression loss and exhaust fumes in the coolant, just to make sure everything is fine with the engine. Good luck and please let us know how it went.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links