Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Understanding Wheels

Can someone help me with understanding all the different wheel sizes please. Like this for example, "Tyres 245/40R18 and on its 8Jx18H2 ET40

Obv 114.2 x 5 pcd" I get all the tyre sizes but just the wheels i dont.

Also what wheel nuts do IS200 have?

Thanks

ok so

Tyres - 245 is the width - 40 is the profile ( sidewall ) R18 is the rim diameter

Wheels - 8J is the width ie 8 inches wide - 18H2 is 18 inches in diameter ( not sure what H2 is ) - ET40 is the offset which will determine how far the mounting face is away from the centre of the wheel ( see attached for explanation ) hope this helps.

tech-offset-image.jpg

tech-offset-image2.jpg

Mike

That's a very good explanation.

Just to expand a little , using the example above the tyre is a 245/40/18 so the tread width is 245mm, the aspect ratio is 40 this means the side wall is 40% of the tyre width i.e. 40% of 245mm or 98mm high. The tyre is for 18" rims.

For some reason tyres sizes are a confusing mix of both metric and imperial

That's a very good explanation.

Just to expand a little , using the example above the tyre is a 245/40/18 so the tread width is 245mm, the aspect ratio is 40 this means the side wall is 40% of the tyre width i.e. 40% of 245mm or 98mm high. The tyre is for 18" rims.

For some reason tyres sizes are a confusing mix of both metric and imperial

Not sure where you have herd that from but i dont think it works like that the sidewall on a 245/40/18 is not 98mm or near 4in as im running 255/35/18 this would make my side wall 89.25mm

as showen in the picture i have just taken they are no where near that.

02012010576.jpg

Mike

Sure, though I didn't think explanation was required.

Aspect Ratio

The aspect ratio of a tyre is the height of the tyre sidewall expressed as a percentage of the tyres width. To understand this more you need to recognise the meaning of the size markings on the sidewall of a tyre.

For instance a typical tyre size used today is 205 / 55 R 16 and this size can be broken down into 3 major areas:

205 - this is the width of the tyre expressed in mm.

55 - the aspect ratio, or profile of the tyre, in this case 55% of the tyre width.

16 - diameter of the rim the tyre is designed to be fitted to (in inches).

In this case the tyre sidewall height would be 113mm (205 x 55%).

That;s lifted directly from etyres site, and for me confirms what Steve wrote, and I agreed with.

Come on why was an explanation not required all you said was steve is correct when there is a photo there to prove this is not correct also this is sombody esles explanation ( what are your veiws )

Not having a go but have you actually measured a 205 / 55 / 16 to confirm that this is correct.

edit just poped outside and took a picture of a 205 / 55 / 16 and these are the results. dosnt look anywhere near 113mm so you still belive etyres & steve ?

13062012577.jpg

Mike

Take the tyre off the rim and try again, this time on a new tyre with full tread, and from the actual inside edge of the tyre, not the wheel rim.

And yes I do believe both, you obviously don't.

Oh, and I still believe clarification wasn't necessary, if somebody says something, and I say I think they're correct, where's the ambiguity?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links