Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Bunch Of Problems With My New Gs

Hey all,

I've got a few problems with my newly acquired GS300 ('99), and thought I'd ask here for some help and guidance before getting into it this weekend. I will search for topics too, but I'm at work at the moment so thought I'd at least ask for help at the same time! :)

Problems:

• Steering wheel tilt motor is intermittent - telescopic motor is fine, but upwards and downwards tilt only works occasionally.
  • Braking (even at slow speed) sometimes the brakes release almost like ABS, meaning that I roll forward further than I expect.
  • VSC, ABS and VSC OFF lights come on occasionally, and stay on for some time (10-15 minutes) before disappearing. I was told this might be an ABS sensor (possibly linking to the above) but am curious what others think.
  • Front brakes click once when applied almost as if they slide into a notch (best way I can describe it), so it sounds like metal on metal, but they don't judder under pressure and the calipers are firmly attached - no "visible" problems.

I'm going to be working on the car all weekend but just curious if anyone has any idea as to what may be causing these problems, so to give me a bit more of an insight as to what I'm looking for/at.

Thanks in advance! :)

Dave

A dodgy sensor does sound possible. It may we worth getting the fault codes read ('99 GS300 aren't fully odbII compliant so home code readers won't work - plus most home units don't read the abs ecu anyway). It could save time/money/effort as the sensors aren't cheap.

For the brakes, my first port of call would be checking the caliper slide pins on the front calipers. If the grease has dried up, they can create rattles/clunks etc. Plus check the metal pad clips are all present at the same time. If you suspect the noise is coming from the rear, then check the pad anti rattle shims/clips are all present.

There are some links in my signature block below to tutorials I have done which may help.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links