Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

GS300 - not had too much experience, but I would say with GS300 you get slightly more comfortable seats, not quite as quite as the LS400, but not much in it. Road holding in GS a bit better, though in my experience it is more down to the tyres you use, if you want to push the envelope on the corners.

Also found with GS fuel economy a slightly bit worse, but then maybe it just looks like it should be driven a bit harder than the cruise liner LS

Also back legroom is not as good, but still reasonable.

As for mechanics/repairs no real experience of GS to comment.

Any reason for the change?

I currently have an LS400 and was just looking at the GS300 - has anybody owned and driven both - what are the differences - what will i miss from the LS400?

thanks for your time guys

Depends a lot on which model/year GS you are considering

I bought a 1999 GS300 as a temporary replacement when my LS400 was off the road after an accident and when it came to getting rid of one or the other I did struggle to be honest for a while.

The seats n the GS300 were certainly more comfortable and I sat higher in the car, this could of course be down to seat design between the two models and probably more sagging in the LS with it being an older model, plus the GS had heated seats where nine doesn't ( would I like some at the moment!).

I also liked the ride better in the GS it was the sports version and handled very well.

The performance was close to the LS as there is only 25 Bhp between the two and I felt the 5 speed transmission helped.

I found the fuel consumption on the GS significantly better than the LS but I don't go far or very fast, it was certainly a lot better on town driving where the LS drinks unleaded.

The GS is also I feel an easier car to service and no 10-12 hour cambelt replacement or starter rebuild.

It was a close call for me but input from the "other half" and loyalty to the LS won the day.

I had a GS300 before the LS I have now. The GS feels a little more modern inside, and I actually prefer the looks over the LS, but you definitely feel less torque in a GS.

Also, beware the electronic brake booster problem on Series 2 GS300s, as it'll cost almost £3000 to fix if it goes!

I had a GS300 before the LS I have now. The GS feels a little more modern inside, and I actually prefer the looks over the LS, but you definitely feel less torque in a GS.

Also, beware the electronic brake booster problem on Series 2 GS300s, as it'll cost almost £3000 to fix if it goes!

I prefer the look of the Series 1 GS300 to the Series 2. If getting a Series 2 the post facelift models.....2001 onwards? had brake booster rectified with a larger unit. The GS430 has plenty of torque so might be a good option.

Thanks for your replies guys

There is no reason for the change really - been driving LSs for a while and just fancied a change and was looking at 02/03 plate GSs - but i havent made a concrete decision yet

I do mainly town driving so if there is a marginal difference in the fuel economy then thats a plus otherwise not really bothered.

From the reponses i gather there is not alot to loose bar maybe the ride might not that smooth or quite. I quite like the look of the sport GSs with bodykit.

steve how harsher is the ride and how noisier is the cabin in comparison?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links