Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Has anyone got tinted windows on their IS?

Is it illegal to tint (dark smoke tint) both front and rear windows?

Would it fail MOT?

Thanks.

Alex

Vehicle & Operator Services Agency (VOSA) Statement

The UK Road Vehicles (Construction & Use) Regulations 1986 Act details the legality of window tinting in the UK - and as amended specifies the minimum levels of light that must pass through the windscreen and front side windows.

For a legal window tint in the UK the specifications are:

- Motor Vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1985

-The light transmitted through the windscreen must be at least 75%.

-The front side windows (to either side of the drivers' head) must allow at least 70% of light to be transmitted through them.

The level of light transmission is measured by metering units which cost up to £500 each. Supplying them for roadside checks across the country has cost VOSA £13,000. Another way of doing it would have been to include the measurement as part of the MOT test, but since there are 18,000 MOT test centres in the UK the equipment budget would have rocketed to £90 million, and the extra time added to the test would have LED to an increase in the fee - all this for a very small proportion of UK cars.

The police have 'Tintman' meters. For figures better than those mentioned above during a roadside check, there is no problem. If between 45% and 65% of light gets through, the driver is advised to have the tinting removed, failure to do which might result in a prosecution and a fine of up to £2000. Below 30% light transmission and the police will insist on immediate removal of dark tinted side windows at the roadside before allowing drivers to proceed.

The short answer is the second generation IS already has lightly tinted glass so any additional tints to the front glass, including the side windows is against the law and may attract the attention of the police. The biggest risk of course is that in the event of an accident your insurance will be null and void.

Tint the rear glass as much as you like, but bear in mind your auto dimming rear and door mirrors (if you have them) will no longer function if you limo tint the rear screen (as I found out on my IS250 SE-L).

Pic of my old IS250 SE-L with tints

pic0138y.jpg

Hi Tango,

Thank you for the information.

I like the tints on your old IS250 SE-L. Have you tinted your ISF? If so, do you have any pics.

Thanks,

Alex

It already has lightly tinted glass so haven't tinted it further. If I do, it will be for security purposes only and lighter tints than my Is250..

p1050338.jpg

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links