Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Ls430 Gearbox Failure Update

pheobe

First I would thank all members that offered advice it really did help.

I have had a repair carried out at Lexus Carlisle who were a great help and did all they could to keep the price as low as possible ( but it still cost a small fortune) a total rebuild but it's better than when I bought it. Which makes me think that there was a problem apart from cooler failing so following advice given here now in touch with trading standards will keep you informed of outcome.

Gave Lexus dealership my extended warranty details and they dealt with the company direct and although first indications were that I would be lucky to get anything like the full limit permitted to each claim, they paid the max promptly on my sending details required. so full marks to auto protect.

I still don't understand why water in the oil gives an imediate failure and does so much damage, may be someone out there knows what happens to cause so much damage.

Thanks again for all advice

Hi,

Thank you for coming back and letting us know how things are going,good to hear the warranty company came good and saved you at least some of the cost and maybe now you have involved Trading Standards you may eventually recover the rest from the trader from whom you purchased the car.

The problem as you now suspect with the transmission intercooler may have been present for some time gradually diluting the transmission fluid until it was too inefficient to adequately lubricate the complex moving parts inside resulting in a complete failure.

Leave a empty tin can outside for a week or two and then imagine what water does to precision bearings!

You could always contact the previous owner and ask them to give the honest reason why they sold the car, was it perhaps they noticed a transmission problem and got rid quick maybe to an unsuspecting dealer who wouldn't know if the transmission was normal or not for an LS430 or an unscrupulous dealer who discovered the car had a transmission problem but let it be sold to an innocent buyer?

Anyway now you are back on the road enjoy the Lexus experience as it should be :D

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links