Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Civil Servant Pension Strikes !

andy m w

Strictly my opinion here:

I think that everybody needs to accept the cuts including those in the public sector. I think the most scandalous thing that has stood out the most for me was the 5% rise for those who are unemployed. Everybody is facing cuts yet people who aren't contributing get a payrise... Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Makes it even harder for those on minimum wage to break even as they are better off on the dole. So is it encouraging people not to work and pay tax towards the state pension pot??

Andy, depends on how you look at the argument.

Forget the money side of it for a moment.

These people are striking because what they believed\payed into\was promised, is now being changed.

None of us would like the same to happen, ie If we had been paying towards a new Lexus and part way through Lexus decide that we have to wait longer pay more and they will choose the colour, I dont think any of us would just say OK.

I am not a Civil Servant, I am self employed.

Strictly my opinion here:

I think that everybody needs to accept the cuts including those in the public sector. I think the most scandalous thing that has stood out the most for me was the 5% rise for those who are unemployed. Everybody is facing cuts yet people who aren't contributing get a payrise... Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Makes it even harder for those on minimum wage to break even as they are better off on the dole. So is it encouraging people not to work and pay tax towards the state pension pot??

The 5% rise is because of the way it is linked to inflation. It has worked opposite at times when pay rises have been around 3% to 4% and benefits have increased by less. The increase is not solely for unemployed but also people with disabilities and pensioners. I currently have a disability which prevents me working but having contributed to the system for 44 years, since leaving school, I feel that a 5% rise in the meagre benefit paid is fair. I can't get housing benefits, income support etc. because I have worked hard and paid for my house and have saved instead of just spending which then is taken into account for benefits. These civil servants should just accept that they are well catered for pensionwise and get on with it.

Andy, depends on how you look at the argument.

Forget the money side of it for a moment.

These people are striking because what they believed\payed into\was promised, is now being changed.

None of us would like the same to happen, ie If we had been paying towards a new Lexus and part way through Lexus decide that we have to wait longer pay more and they will choose the colour, I dont think any of us would just say OK.

I am not a Civil Servant, I am self employed.

am self employed also(24years) , it was always going to upset those affected but i just can't understand how any civil servant could think the system is in any way fair for all , whether public,private or self employed what's wrong with each person taking care of their own pension ? get out what you yourself put in , not what others are forced to cough up for on your behalf ! it was fool's gold that just could not go on for ever , a pension's apartheid if you will , totally divisive

unfortunately when the changes come it will affect million's but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be changed

i understand their woes but it's no different to being told "sorry , that endowment policy didn't do as well as we said it would" or "sorry , that private pension you paid into for 30years(without assistance from others) is not as much as we thought it would be "

bad news never has a happy end :blink:

I think Clarkson has the best idea. Shooting them would not only solve the problem with their pensions but also create employment opportunities for people to replace them. :winky: :P

I understand the point about the disabled, I am all for the rise for this group and do not want to see any cuts for them. But many in the private sector haven't had a 5% payrise so why should people on jobseekers allowance for example? We all pay for gas and electric each at different levels, and those who are paying for a mortgage are still struggling as much as those who are unemployed... I hope you get the point I'm trying to make... As a nation we've all got used to living on credit, constantly being bombarded with capitalone platinum cards through the post... it's time to live within our means now in my opinion... who are to blame? In my opinion it's the banks lending money to people left right and centre for luxury items...

Good discussion folks, time for bed..

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links